completely off-topic: world's smallest hi-fi tube amplifier

Started by zachary vex, May 01, 2005, 05:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Snowberg

Awesome!

What a beautiful product! :D I hope you sell a bundle of 'em!

One technical question please.... are those washers for physical support or flux containment?
Eschew paradigm obfuscation

barret77

Quote from: puretube
Quote from: puretubedon`t show me too much...  :lol:  
- I might come up with "pure2 monoblox" -  :P

well - someone else finally did:

http://www.psiberaudio.com/iPod_3.htm

:shock:

hey, puretube, check the text of that product:

"Massive reservoir capacitance in the power supply provides crisp bass with loads of 'slam'"

Is 'slam' the new mojo?

corbs

that really is fantastically beautiful. particularly the utilitarian look of the etched logo matched with the chrome.

any chance of a special edition nano that looks a bit like this?  8)

LouSid

Awesome...that will look great sitting next to the Nano I own..... :P

Can we order those straight from you or do we have to go to a dealer?
There's nowhere to set my aim, so I'm everywhere.

zachary vex

actually, for the first time, i will be offering the iMP directly from us.  it'll be up on the iMPAMP.com site some time soon... be patient... we're so busy that it will take a bit for us to get everything ready (i'm starting to edit some demo video stuff for the iMP today.)

squidsquad

Nifty!  Real keen!  Sharp!  Stylish!     W  A  Y      C  O  O  L  !

zachary vex

heh.  thanks so much, everybody.  it makes me feel goofy.  i worked until midnight editing two of the 6 videos.  why does it take 6 videos to describe something you can only understand by hearing it in person?

because it's the friggin' internet.  8^)

hair force one

Bravo, nice pedal to put among the record collection which is ,actually, my bedroom floor!

By the way, i wonder if digitally compressed music is really hi-fi?
I-pod is hi-tech & tiny & good looking but certainly not hifi...
Zachari you should picture your valve amp next to a portable cd-player, will look like it sounds better (?).  

Twin altoïd monobloc -> http://www.electronixandmore.com/project/12.html

Jaicen_solo

That's actually a really valid point. The ipod really heavily compresses music, particularly low frequencies. This is primarily to make the tiny earbud headphones sound bigger. It's all about psychoacoustics.
Windows media player does a similar thing, which I find really irritating. I find myself loading up Cubase SX to hear things properly. Don't even get me started on radio!
Anyway, the upshot of all this is that the iPod is NOT hifi. :)

WGTP

Sounds like a bass expansion/boost switch may be needed.   :)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

TryingToDo613

That is really really really a nice piece of work. Did you ever post a schematic or possibly a reference of where you were inpired to build it from? Also I've never found a place to buy those torrodial transformers in the us. I have read that they are super quiet. -ph

puretube

those blue toroids are made in India...

Hello in the forum!

zachary vex

Quote from: TryingToDo613That is really really really a nice piece of work. Did you ever post a schematic or possibly a reference of where you were inpired to build it from? Also I've never found a place to buy those torrodial transformers in the us. I have read that they are super quiet. -ph

i started from scratch with this one (as i do with most of my other products.)  i don't post proprietary schematics, but i can tell you it's a very straightforward dc-coupled (no blocking caps) op-amp preamp (using OP275 chips from Analog Devices) driving the JAN 6021W tubes directly in push-pull configuration, class AB.  the tubes are biased using blue leds.  the output transformer design took a bit of work!  the op-amp power supply is triple-filtered 40VDC derived through a clever trick using  the windings on the transformers, and its ground reference is derived from a TI rail splitter chip.  the 165VDC power for the tube plates comes from the independent linear supplies fed by the high-voltage windings on the toroids.

TryingToDo613

Wow. You're smart. And you have a sense for art. That's rare. I always wondered who got both when I got neither. Figures. Thanks for the answer. I have to read it a couple more times.  Does anyone in the US sell those toroids? -ph

zachary vex

Quote from: TryingToDo613Wow. You're smart. And you have a sense for art. That's rare. I always wondered who got both when I got neither. Figures. Thanks for the answer. I have to read it a couple more times.  Does anyone in the US sell those toroids? -ph

smart?  dogged, perhaps.  freakishly persistent.  i do have a good appreciation for other people's art, and it helps me keep the physical parts of my designs from becoming terribly unbalanced, but most of my work is based on being practical to a fault.  i mean, look at the iMP... it couldn't have been put together any other way, really, given the limitations of my enclosure.

yes, you can get those toroids direct from Amveco in 1000 quantity or more.  they probably have a distributor in the US for smaller quantities.

TryingToDo613

Thanks. I'll look into it further. Don't know why mouser just doesnt' carry the things. -ph

Peter Snowberg

Eschew paradigm obfuscation

puretube