Modded line 6 dl-4

Started by dubs, April 23, 2005, 10:37:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dubs

Check out what mr Huge has done:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=41415&item=7317561516&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW
obivously done ala Keeley for better fidelity. Now I gonna have to mod mine now! - I'll peruse at the schematic.

nelson

feel the mojo lol :twisted:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

modmod

what tools you need to desolder those components on double side pcb ?

cd

Quote from: modmodwhat tools you need to desolder those components on double side pcb ?

Besides rock steady hands? :)  And maybe a magnifying glass..

ExpAnonColin

I'm waiting for someone to really modify it.  The closest I've gotten was turning the modelers into noisemakers back in the day.

-Colin

modmod

Quote from: cd
Quote from: modmodwhat tools you need to desolder those components on double side pcb ?

Besides rock steady hands? :)  And maybe a magnifying glass..

i had a hard time to desolder a chip on double side pcb,bottom side is ok,but how do you do that on the component side ? i mean most of the time the joint are covered by the component itself,like caps and ic,i remember i had to cut the legs out before i can take the chip out of the board........

dubs

I use a solder sucker to remove the components. But buy a quality one, as the cheaper ones have too much recoil when sucking which is no good for removing small components.
You need a small soldering iron (15watt) with very fine  tip to remove solder on component side. Sometimes there's not much solder on that side to suck up. But enought to still hold the component in place. So sometimes I add more solder to the joint and then use the solder sucker to suck the joint up.
You can do it, I changed a faulty tactile switch on one of the line 6 pedals.

I think changing the dual opamp to the burr brown opa2134PA should improve the fieldity, I'm gonna have a shot at it and report findings.

maximee

from what I heard on the net and from my experience with my DL4 I wouldn't consider this fine pedal as noisy...

but I'm also very interested in how those mods turn out.
I'm just to scard to rip it apart and try myself because it's not the cheapest pedal, if you know what I mean.

dosmun

I 99% sure that Mr Huge didn't mod and existing pedal he used a new board as he works for Line 6.
Here is a Quote form Music Toyz:
QuoteOk a little history that most of you know already....

Jeorge Tripps was/is 'Mr. Huge' as in Way Huge electronics and made the Way Huge line of pedals...........then closed up the Way Huge shop and went to Line 6 where he is now Senior Product Manager.

I contacted Jeorge to see if he might be into filling a box for fun and charity.

Turns out Jeorge is in fact a madman,and a really nice guy !!!
( I think those cartoon boxes of the Way Huge mad scientest are self portraits )

http://musictoyz.infopop.cc/eve/ubb.x/a/tpc/f/4066066091/m/1801044791/p/21

soundcollage

Changing out those tactile switches may not be a mod but I highly recomend doing so.  You can find several varieties at mouser that seem to be significantly more reliable. Small Bear carries the outer actuators and ships them with the nylon washers that have done a better job keeping the actuators from coming loose than the serrated metal ones the pedal comes with. It is easy to damage the tactile switch when the actuator comes loose. I've changed out mine and two of my buddies as well. Previously we would encounter missed taps and unwanted double taps that were especially annoying while playing live. It has been at least six months now and none of us have had that problem again.[/img]
james