Yet one more Octave up....

Started by brett, May 03, 2005, 07:28:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brett

Hi.
There's another thread around here about op-amp octave up.  It involves a circuit that's a bit more complex than this (The Cicada).  This one has high input impedance and reduced gating because of the jfet booster.

Here's my take...

If you have a low-level signal (such as from a single coil pickup), you might wish to parallel the 2.2k resistor on the jfet with a 4.7uF cap.  That'll lift gain and sustain a lot.

cheers

PS What does it sound like?  It'll give anything from 0 to 90% of very clean octave.  IMO it sound as good (maybe not as wild) as a Tyco and better (more sustained octave) than a Bobtavia or Neoctavia.
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

petemoore

Great Name for an Octave.
 I bet it does that well...looks pretty easy to do and get parts for.'
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

jmusser

Brett, all I'm getting is an X for the Cicada (great name). Would you post the link for it? The only other name I know that's more appropriate, is "Grandma Smith", but you'd have had to hear her scream at you to really appreciate it! :lol:
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

brett

Hi again.

Here's the link;
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jethro.dog/mypic158.jpg

Oh yeah, I might just clarify the setting up of this thing.  Turn the "Octave" pot to 10/10, then adjust the 100k trimmer for maximum octave (not 1M - there is no 1M).  For some reason, the *exact* spot varies a little with frequency, so I set it for maximum octave for a frequency of about 800 Hz.  This is approx the G string at the 12th fret.

For those interested in modding the design, a good one would be to roll off some of the high-pitched ringing and ear-piercing harmonics (>~8kHz ??).

cheers
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)