VERO in ExpressPCB

Started by moosapotamus, May 06, 2005, 10:51:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosapotamus

*** EDIT: Links updated 22 Apr 2006 ~ Charlie

This subject came up in another thread. So, I'm just starting this thread to keep subjects straight, and to make it easer to find this info using the search engine in the future.

For starters, you'll need the free software...
http://www.expresspcb.com/

Here's a veroboard template in ExpressPCB...
ExpressPCB VERO Template
You might like the template. You might not like the template. You might prefer to start with a blank, empty layout and just "think VERO" as you build up your layout. That would probably be my personal preference. But, to each his own... 8)

Here's a quick smash drive layout I did as an example.
This is just to show what a vero layout in ExpressPCB looks like. Someone else could probably spend a little more time than I did and come up with a tighter, more logical vero layout for the smash. You can also draw offboard components in the margins and show the wiring, if you want.

Here's a *.zip file of the custom components I've created for myself.
Moose's Custom Components
Appologies to those who can't deal with the *.zip format. The way the custom component library in ExpressPCB seems to work is...
Each custom component that you create and save is saved as an individual file in the directory...
C:\Program Files\ExpressPCB\PCBComponents_Custom
If I wanted to share this stuff and avoid the *.zip file format, I would have to post each custom component file individually. Not that I can't do that. It's just tedious. Anyway...

After installing ExpressPCB, if you unzip that file into the directory...
C:\Program Files\ExpressPCB\PCBComponents_Custom
... you should be able to find them in the component manager and use them in your layouts.

Word of caution... If you already have created some of your own custom components, doing the above may (or may not) overwrite the components you created previously. I don't know. I have never tried unzipping into a directory that already contains some files. If you know wether or not this is definately an issue, please post.

Good luck to all who want to use this stuff. Please let me know if anything is not working properly.

Cheers!
~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

Fret Wire

Thanks Charlie. :)  I just gave it a quick shot, and it works fine.
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net

radio

In 4 words:

You are  a genius! :P

Greetings JME
Keep on soldering!
And don t burn fingers!

Khas Evets

Just downloaded ExpressPCB. In about two hours I had a schematic made and a PCB layout complete. It will be much quicker the next time.

There's a great feature that greatly speeds up the time it takes to design a vero or PCB layout. You can link your schematic to the PCB. As you draw the interconnects, it will highlight all the required components.

How did you output the layout to a graphic file? I can only get the silkscreen layer to output?

troubledtom

thank you kind sir :P
         how do you spell " the man "
                  moooseman :wink:
                          - tom

moosapotamus

Cheers, y'all! Happy to be of service. 8)

Quote from: Khas EvetsHow did you output the layout to a graphic file? I can only get the silkscreen layer to output?
Hit the Print Screen key on your keyboard to do a screen capture. Then, paste into your graphics application of choice.

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

Khas Evets

That's what I ended up doing. Too bad it can't output the graphics by layer. I know, it's free.

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

A vero FX layout done in PCB Express & then actually made as a PCB by them? I'd like to see that! :lol:

moosapotamus

Here are some more ExpressPCB custom components (not done by me)...
... these are schematic symbols for vacuum tubes and transformers...
http://home.pacifier.com/~gpimm/downloads.html
Unzip to... C:\Program Files\ExpressPCB\SchComponents_Custom\

~ Charlie
moosapotamus.net

MartyMart

....This is one of those times when I wished I were NOT using a apple mac  ,,,,  !!!!    :cry:

Marty .....  :cry:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

soggybag

If you are on the Mac you might look into Osmond PCB. It's freeware and runs on the OS 9 and OS X. I have been using it a lot the last few days. There is a group on Yahoo.

chrishopkins

There is an "Export to Bitmap" option under the file menu so you can avoid the printscreen stuff.

chrishopkins

I thought of something - you can design the PCB, then toggle the screensilk display off and then use printscreen to paste the results into a graphics program.

Does anybody remember a program called EasyPCB?  I used that when I did GCSE electronics back in the dark days of DOS and Windows 3.1.

I'm more experienced of doing PCBs than strip layouts so will get cracking on some PCBs this weekend.  Rapid Electronics must love me.

corbs

this is fantastic!

<3 moose

bwanasonic

Quote from: MartyMart....This is one of those times when I wished I were NOT using a apple mac  ,,,,  !!!!    :cry:

Yes, Express PCB is one of the only programs I put down the powerbok for these days. I have Eagle for OSX, and that's better than nothing, but...

Kerry M

samuelk

can anyone mail me the veroboard template and custom components? that would be super  :icon_razz:

Crontox102098

Can anyone repost this please?  ??? I know its from 2006.
I'm Carlos.

I speak spanish, just in case you do not understand what I say.