ZW44 with less noise?

Started by 4nkam, May 09, 2005, 06:32:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

4nkam

Hey guys...I was just wondering if any of you that have built/modded an MXR ZW44 could throw out some suggestions for lowering the noise. I like mine a lot, but it can get pretty noisy :(

MJ

samuelk

yeah that would be great, i´m about to build a zw-44 clone myself. and i´m sorry to go off topic in your thread 4nkam, but is their any other mods you can do to make this pedal sound better???

4nkam

No worries...I'm curious about anything and everything :)

MJ

ESPguitar

Hi Monty!

:D

More gain = More noise :P

Haven't tested the Zakk pedal though..

RB

petemoore

Well I built mine from 5% resistors and used some used caps too, nice opamp might help, what are you having in there?
 Maybe there must be something different besides mine is very low noise, I use this box alot, and it's not noisy...
 You DID socket the actives [or OA at the least, and heat sink the leads on the tranny's when soldering]? and what active components do you have in there?
 Noisy caps are rare. Noisy resistors...I don't think I've ever had one, transistors and OA's can become noisy...filter cap on the PS [I think that's shown on the schematic].
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

4nkam

I didn't build one, I have "the real thing." I was just wondering if there are other things that could be changed out to lower the noise a bit. It seems Dunlop was OK with sending them out with faulty switches, so I thought maybe there's a better way to lower the noise too.

MJ

ESPguitar

Quote from: 4nkamI didn't build one, I have "the real thing." I was just wondering if there are other things that could be changed out to lower the noise a bit. It seems Dunlop was OK with sending them out with faulty switches, so I thought maybe there's a better way to lower the noise too.

MJ

Which OP amp is in it?

RB

4nkam

Well I just opened it up and remembered that all the components are micro/mini versions  :x The chip is a 33178 (PVXY).

MJ