Fulltone/Diaz type Photocell Trem schematic?

Started by mgreene, September 02, 2003, 04:13:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgreene

Hi,

New here. Been looking for a few days. Are there any schematics for a Fulltone Supa-trem/Swamp Thang type tremelo on the web - using the photocell? What I am really trying to do is recreate the hard trem from the silver Vibro Champ (I assume that this is what is referred around these parts as bias type trem) along with deep blackface style tremelo.

If none, I would be interested in hearing how to adapt the Fender circuit
to 9V.

Regards

Mike

cd

Have you tried the Craig Anderton Tremolo?

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/trem.html

It's a good place to start.  Try messing with the LFO, for hard on/off you'll want to use a square wave.

mgreene

Thanks CD - I saw that but didn't realize the the CLM600 was analogous to the "roach".

Also saw this:  http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/sstremolo/sstremolo.htm

An article about adding a trem circuit to an existing amp using solid state regulators instead of tubes. I may try this first.

Mike

gez

The EA trem seems to be the most popular on this forum.  It's an 'easy' circuit and everyone who builds it seems pleased.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

mgreene

Gez,

I was looking at the EA too, but couldn't find a sound sample. I am coming at this from a hi-end audio sensibility where is it is possible to build something better than anything you can buy (afford :) When people say that they are  "pleased" with the EA circuit, it sounds like its just OK and not exceptional. Maybe there isn't as much hype here as I'm used to :)

The two boxes that I have heard online that sound good to me are the Swamp Thang and tHe Fulltone. I have a Tuna Melt and recently compared it to my Diaz Vibramaster (which I want to sell). To me the Tuna Melt is OK - but I want something at least as good as the Diaz' tremelo which doesn't really do it all for me because it can't do the hard square wave sound.

Mike

gez

The LFO is a phase-shift job which is basically what Fenders used (variation on a theme) so you get a nice smooth sine wave.  You can improve the EA by using a MOSFET instead of a BC109 (I don't have the schematic in front of me but I 'think' that's the trannie that was used) and changing the bias network.  

The EA isn't exactly hi-fi, but then again neither was Fender!  :D
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

Mike Nichting

Try 4MS pedals. Try the Tremulus Lune and you can even add another LFO to the mix and have a dual speed trem.
www.commonsound.com  and go to the kits section. pick the tremulus lune and it has the layout parts list etc. etc. They also have sound clips on the website.

Good luck,
mike
"It's not pollution thats hurting the earth, it's the impurities in the water and air that are doing it".
Quoted from a Vice President Al Gore speech

mgreene

Hey, I like the names - some crazy stuff there. Thanks for the link.

Mike