How do you set your Si Fuzz Face fuzz pot?

Started by shredgd, May 13, 2005, 02:41:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shredgd

I'm trying to find out which transistors, among the ones I have, I like best in my silicon fuzz, so I wanted to know how to set the pedal to make a reliable comparison. I've always set it to max until now, but I wanted other opinions!

Giulio
Protect your hearing.
Always use earplugs whenever you are in noisy/loud situations.

My videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/shredgd5
My band's live videos on YouTube: www.youtube.com/swinglekings

bwanasonic

I imagine some people may actually use the FF fuzz control, but for me the beauty of the FF is how it turns your guitar's volume knob into a fuzz control. Always leave mine on full.

Kerry M

petemoore

I just start with a 2k2 pot, then add another 2k2 to that, turn the pot I'm gonna keep all the way up, then trim it using the other pot, till I have just a touch more gain than I think I'll need, take the pot I used to trim the FF's pot [to set where I want Max gain to be] and replace with fixed resistor...trimmiing the FF gain pot.
 I used to just use 5k, but the resistance to ground [across the gainpots 1 and 3 lugs] sounds better when it's trimmed to where the pot stays near full setting for 'max gain [whatever max gain would be]...I think.
 Joe Davissons FF calculator makes mention of using different value gainpots for GE and SI FF's, I think it makes a difference.
 Basically I end up with a 2k2 trimmed down using a fixed resistor across lugs 1 and 3...and end up with a value around 1k+ or so.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.