What is the difference between these two wiring schemes?

Started by ryanscissorhands, May 18, 2005, 08:06:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ryanscissorhands

My question regard the wiring on the 3PDT switch itself.

The first is Aron's Beginner project wiring diagram:

The second is the generic wiring used for most GGG projects:

http://www.generalguitargadgets.com/diagrams/ge_boost_lo_amz_mosfet.gif

What is the advantage of the GGG wiring? (I ask this because it seems more complicated).

Thanks.

niftydog

lets have a look see...

Ok, arons first:

bypass mode;
- the input jack is connected via two switch contacts to the output jack
- the circuits input and output are floating
- the LED circuitry is also floating at one end and grounded at the other

effect mode;
- the input and output jacks are connected to the circuit board via one switch contact each
- the LED circuitry is connected to power coming from the board

Now ggg:

bypass mode;
- the input jack is connected via one switch contact to the output jack
- the circuits input is grounded via two swtich contacts and the output is floating
- the LED circuitry is floating at one end and connected to power at the other

effect mode;
- the input and output jacks are connected to the circuit board via one switch contact each
- the LED circuitry is grounded

The only possible thing I would pick out of that is that the ggg one grounds the circuit input in bypass mode. Although, it's doubtful this would display any kind of advantage. You might also contend that arons bypass mode sends the signal via two sets of switch contacts as opposed to just one for the ggg. Again, minimal difference I would say... but if you're into mojo that might make all the difference!  :D
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

ryanscissorhands

Thanks, man. I never  thought to count the number of contacts. But, as you say, unless I mojo, probably not a big deal. I find aron's easiest to follow. And unless there is a huge advantage to grounding the input of the CB, then I'll stick with Aron's.

Processaurus

The switching that grounds the input is good for super duper high gain circuits that will self oscillate in bypass mode if the input is left floating.  This can show up in your bypass signal as a small background whine.  I've only had this happen once, with a compressor > scrambler > Rat  in the loop of a true bypass loop box thing, it took a minute to figure that one out.

cd

There is a definite advatanage to the GGG one, besides input grounding.  With the first one, the fact that the signal goes through two switches means that if one side of your 3PDT fails, you're fked, no effect.  With the GGG one, it only goes through one, so if one side fails, you still have a semi-working effect.

NaBo

Input grounding is exTREMEly advantageous in high gain audio circuits!!!  This goes a thousand for amps... unplug the cord at the amp end and it shouldn't buzz at all- the jack should ground the tip connector when nothing's plugged in.  But in some itty bitty 9V pedals that switching just as necessary to preserve the integrity of your bypassed signal.

Just try wiring up a feedback loop box using the "easy way" for a quick illustration.  Get the thing oscillating.  Now hit the bypass...  (prepare to be horrified, and learn why your wiring layout really is as important as people say)

Then wire it for grounded input in bypass mode... and rejoice at how the simple trick safeguards you against such noise.

True what cd said too... never thought of that benefit.  maybe cuz those 3pdt's aron sells are some real sturdy little bitches 8)

Think along these lines:
can it hurt?  no
can it help?  yes
conclusion: do it  :P