MXR Bluebox ICs-can I use this...

Started by KORGULL, May 18, 2005, 09:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

KORGULL

The schematic calls for a CD4013, I have some HCF4013BE and HEF4013BP chips, can anyone tell me if they will work. I guess the CD4013 is CMOS and the ones I have aren't. Does it matter with this pedal?
Also my 4558 is a BA4558 - can anyone tell me what the BA signifies?

Watch out if you order CMOS ICs from Electronix Express - they seem to ignore the fact that the chips you are ordering are CMOS and send you the cheaper non-CMOS version. It also happened a few months ago when I  needed some CMOS 555 timer chips - bastards sent run-of-the mill 555s which I already have a pile of.

niftydog

my information says that they are all CMOS, just from different manufacturers.

liekwise, the BA would probably symbolise the manufacturer.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

KORGULL

O.K, that's good news.
I took another look at the data sheet after reading your reply and see that it does say it's a CMOS.  :oops:  Thanks niftydog.
-Just trying to avoid starting this pedal only to find out I need to order/wait for parts.

BTW, overall, Electronix Express is a good place - guess I only have the 555 mixup to complain about now. :lol:

TheBigMan

BA4558?  The only chips I've seen with a BA prefix are proprietry chips used by Roland/Boss in some pedals: BA634 flip-flop chip and BA662A VCA used in the CS-2.

KORGULL

TheBigMan wrote:
QuoteBA4558? The only chips I've seen with a BA prefix are proprietry chips used by Roland/Boss in some pedals: BA634 flip-flop chip and BA662A VCA used in the CS-2.
Yup, BA4558. I think they came in a grab bag asst. from a surplus place. There is no manufacturer's name on the chips, but when I got the datasheet (@ alldatasheet.com) Rohm was listed as the maker of the BA4558. I haven't yet printed out any other 4558 sheets to do a comparison. Judging from what I read on the first page of the datasheet, it seems to be a very good quality 4558.
Here are all of the #s printed on the chip:
BA4558 541 H34 and one has these: BA4558 408 236 T

Mark Hammer

Quote from: TheBigManBA4558?  The only chips I've seen with a BA prefix are proprietry chips used by Roland/Boss in some pedals: BA634 flip-flop chip and BA662A VCA used in the CS-2.

Well, you are right about that.  Rohm, the manufacturer, does more than make special order chips for Roland, however.  They make a lot of fine chips, and a lot of crappy ones (like those for low power stereo car amps).  They make a nice replacement for the fairly rare  M5218AL sip-type dual op-amp that Roland/Boss uses in a number of pedals and synths.

TheBigMan

Ahhh, should have guessed that Roland wouldn't produce them "in house."  Kind of wondered though why they didn't start using the BA634 in all pedals given the much lower parts count over a discrete flip-flop.  :?: