Colorsound Tonebender...

Started by Monster Metal Magician, May 18, 2005, 09:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monster Metal Magician

I was gonna build a Big Muff Pi but changed my mind & have finally decided on the Colorsound Tonebender.  Original Schematic says it uses BC184c "Q's".  Any recommendations on different Transistors i could use?
MPSA18's (nte#47) or 2N5088's (nte#123AP) ?.  Clipper diodes are 1N4148's.  What adjustments do i need to make if i opt for a matched pair of 1N34A Germanium's ? I plan on using all 1% metal-film resistors.  To create the best sounding \ lowest noise floor affair what kind of Bi-Polar Caps should i use for the .01uf & .1uf values? I have at my disposal, polystyrene & mylar-film (radio-shack) , epoxy dipped mylars & silver-micas.  I'll be using the PCB, Layout & schematic posted on the fuzzcentral website.  Any Mods, tips, & links are greatly appreciatted!!
Aron, thanks for the cool new hobby...

With a purposefull grimace and a terrible sound he pulls the citys high tension wires down...                                Monster Metal Magician.....

Monster Metal Magician

Opps... --correction--  I meant "Colorsound Jumbo Tonebender".
working off the Bill Lawrence PCB & Layout...
Please dont let me be the king of "unanswered threads"

Monster... :cry:

ninoman123

Pick whichever transistors u want. Socket them and try them all out. You wont need to change the circuit to use your Germanium diodes if they are just for clipping purposes.  Folks like those green mylar caps for low noise I think.  Dont be too disappointed if it isnt very low noise...it is a distortion pedal you know.  :wink: