Correct Jordon BossTone Schematic?

Started by Arn C., May 19, 2005, 09:44:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arn C.

I see a few jordan bosstone schematics and layouts around, some have 2 100K pots, another has a 100K and  10K pot.   Which one is correct to use and which layout is correct one to use?
Are the pots log or linear?
What transistors are most people using?

Thanks a bunch!
I am trying to put one together quick as I am gigging Saturday and needed something like this.

Arn C.

cd

Go with the factory schem.  Log pots.  Medium gain transistors (2N3904, 2N3906), higher gain ones (2N5088, 2N5087) may oscillate.

Arn C.

CD,
    Is this the factory schematic?http://www.diystompboxes.com/pedals/bosstone.gif
If it is, the attack pot is 100K, and the volume pot is 100K, But I thought the original had a 10K volume pot(I think)
So which pots do I use?

Thanks again!
Arn C.

Mark Hammer

Mine has a pair of 100k pots, exactly as shown in the linked-to schem.  Hasn't stopped it from always sounding wonderful one single bit.

cd

That's the one.  Two 100ks are fine.  I've never seen any schem with a 10k (I have 3 or 4), but it won't make much difference, you'll get less output, less highs.  The fuzz is so extreme as it is, don't worry about softening or killing it, just use whatever you have.

RDV

Arn C.

First, Thanks CD, Mark and Ricky for your help!

I have one more question , Does it matter if the pots are log or lin, I have both.         NEVERMIND  CD answered my question above! Thanks!

Peace!
Arn C.

cd

re: log vs. lin for anyone else who hasn't figured it out, you can use a linear pot but as usual, the reponse will be different.  If you use a linear pot, you will probably find that most of the volume control's usuable range is bunched into a tiny tiny tiny portion at the start of the control.  The attack control will behave the same, but since the Bosstone is not really a subtle effect, you may not notice a difference.