Overdrive expression pedal (newish idea?)

Started by Cabezahead, May 19, 2005, 10:36:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cabezahead

So... I was wondering if such a stomp switch occurs that switches only while the switch is depressed - and as soon as it's released - it switches back??

The reason I ask - is because I would love to make a simple boost pedal with a switch like this and place it in front of my drives...  That way in solos I could really have control over my screams and my whispers (like a sax player!)  Dynamics galore.

Has anyone thought of this idea?  Anyone build it?  Is the switch readily available? I bet there's some money to be made off of it... if money hasn't already been made...

-CH

ninoman123

loki

Quote from: ninoman123Momentary stomp switch... :?:

yeah sounds like one  :wink:

check here

http://www.smallbearelec.com/Search.bok?category=Switches

the Taiwan X-Wing Momentary DPDT

Cabezahead

That'll do. That. Will do.

I think ima put a momentary boost pedal in front of my whole rig.  And be cool like that.

-CH

aron

>The reason I ask - is because I would love to make a simple boost pedal with a switch like this and place it in front of my drives... That way in solos I could really have control over my screams and my whispers (like a sax player!) Dynamics galore.

That's not going to do it.

You will get only a preset boost. To get phrasing and dynamics more like a sax, your first line is a volume pedal->distortion.

Next would be volume pedal+boost->distortion

Then perhaps breath controller control etc....

I would start with a volume pedal into the distortion then try a circuit like a FET boost into the volume (like Larry Carlton uses).

uhhh.... of course you have to phrase and play more "horn-like"

Aron

Cabezahead

heh... Well - I didn't mean PLAY like a sax.  I don't think distortion is the way to go at all if you're looking for REAL good dynamics.  Like bop-style dynamics... volume and all 'beep BOP dee dee DIP do DIP ba da da CLANG!

I've got pretty good dynamics in my fingers (i've spent HOURS practicing articulation sheets...  Eigth note runs... Putting the accent on the beat...  Putting the accent on the 'e'... putting the accent on the 'and...' go through every beat...   Once you get that you move them around in the same bar...  til you can put 'em anywhere anytime EGADS!)  And i've learned my fair share of Herbie Solos, and Sonny Stitt solos and Trane solos...

But what i've ALWAYS envied is that Saxes and Trumpets can be way up there - real loud going a mile a minute... then stop on a dime - and just SCREAM even louder...  'Trane on A Love Supreme just KILLS me.

So i'm gonna try a few things with a momentary switch... Maybe even a dirty fuzz...  I guess I should just make a bypass box with a stutter switch and mess around with different things in there... Maybe a mid/treble hump-type thing with a boost?  Maybe this whole thing would work better AFTER my ODs and whatnot.... make the AMP scream for mercy.

The only place I've seen stutter switches are on those LOOOPER boxes...  Does anyone else make a stutter box... or a stuttered effect?

-CH

Ben N

That's a pretty interesting idea, probably has some application to a lot of effects.  Take a look at the SIB Echo, with its "Slam" switch--a momentary regeneration maximizer.

As far as dynamics, though, what is old is new and simple is best.  Listen to some Roy Buchanon, and check out his rig: no pedals, just Tele and cranked Fender amp.  And a whole world of dynamics, between fingers and volume knob.  What Aron suggested with a volume pedal and distortion box is just a variation on that theme, with sustain coming from the pedal instead of the amp, and drive controlled by the pedal instead of the volume knob.

Good luck with it,

Ben
  • SUPPORTER

aron

Sounds like you have the technique in the fingers, it's just the "binary" aspect of the momentary footswitch that I don't get.

It's trivial to wire up any booster or distortion to have a boost (which is what you are talking about).

I was just saying that a volume pedal would do a very similar thing and allow you to phrase even more than only your fingers on the strings.

If you ever see Scott Henderson live with his foot on the MXR Micro-amp, then you will know what I mean. Continuously-variable volume riding.

The momentary would allow you to stomp, let go, stomp, let go pretty quickly though.

troubledtom

Scott Henderson ,
  aron ,
        he's a phucking mad man :P  :twisted:  :twisted:
                          -tom