45 / 1rst build in long time

Started by petemoore, May 20, 2005, 12:39:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

I perfed up a very small Phase 45, it surprized, amazed and relieved me that it worked, somehow I managed to find quickly the 'last wire connection that wasn't there, before that it just made awful hum.
 I'm getting much better depth [this is my 2nd phase 45, 1rst is dissassembled] from this one, and I socketted the stageing caps, using .047uf and .01uf...I'm going to check to see what Torchy used on that one.
 I swapped a few Jfets, and could tell a difference even from the 6 of 100 I though were closely matched.
 The only 'problem' is when I use a Mosfet Booster [normally very low noise], on the same battery as the PHase 45, the LFO clock can be heard a bit, a separate battery cures the clock noise.
 Would tapping the booster PS from the circuit side of the 100ohm battery + to circuit V+ be wise.
 Perhaps running a 100ohm from batttery supply to circuit V+ and add a 100uf filter cap from there to ground might help?
 I was sort of planning this phase as a phase/boost...devil in the details...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Ardric

Cool!  The Phase 45 is definitely on my 2do list.
QuoteWould tapping the booster PS from the circuit side of the 100ohm battery + to circuit V+ be wise.
Perhaps running a 100ohm from batttery supply to circuit V+ and add a 100uf filter cap from there to ground might help?
That's what I'd do, yup.  You can also parallel the 100uF cap with a 0.1 if you need that extra little bit.

petemoore

What type of booster are you using to boost the phaser ?...just curious

Ardric

Sorry, I haven't built a phaser yet.  I really like the sound clips of the Phase 45 though, and I like it's simplicity, so it'll probably be the first.

petemoore

Happiness dwells where simple meets effective  :D
 I only have a small number of unused perfholes on this board, resistors in clusters of resistors that cant even be seen lol...I had to skip some of the usual 'is that wired right?' and push on to the finish, hoping what is 'under there' works...somehow I kwikly recon'd to wire the two stages together after forgetting a capsocket connection !! The First non=fire up try had me freakin' out a little...
 If a booster is like tic tac toe, and a Fuzz Face is like checkers, phasers are like 3-D chess...complex wiring of many 10k's...a PCB or layout at the least is recommended, I've 'freeperfed' a few phasers, but this is the first time I got away with it with only small pains...which is surprizing considering this board is about 1/4 the size of my first Ph 45.
 Anyway I'm very happy, this thing is wobbling PDGood, I just pulled some of the matched Jfets from my 'nominal sweep/troublesome' six stage phaser, it's alot easier to tell what's doing what with the part swaps [caps 'n Jfets] using fewer phase stages.