AC in the DC - two taste treats

Started by ethrbunny, May 20, 2005, 01:03:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ethrbunny

I bought an oscilloscope to better understand whats happening in my builds. For grins on put it on the 18V DC adaptor that I use to power my board. To my horror it showed a dramatic sawtooth AC form. Fortunately the adaptor runs into a splitter where it gets conditioned down to 9V (which is clean).. but.. sheesh.. pretty ugly.
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

petemoore

Do the inputs on Oscilloscopes have a Max Voltage Rating?
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

niftydog

AC ripple is commonly found on DC supplys. However, it's the AMOUNT of AC ripple that is important. If you had the o'scope wound down to 20mV per division, chances are that AC ripple is of little consequence.

Often AC ripple is given as a percentage of the DC supply. So, 0.5VAC RMS ripple on top of 18VDC is said to be 2.7% ripple.

Also, the characteristics of the supply may change dramatically when connected to a load.

I guess what I'm saying is this; to the untrained eye, an o'scope can make things look a lot worse than they actually are due to it's ability to look very closely at low levels signals.

So, take those voltage readings carefully! A waveform display with no reference to the voltage level is not very useful.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)