3-way footswitch (not the typical reverb question)

Started by superfanthony, May 20, 2005, 02:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

superfanthony

I have a Crate GX900H. Yes, I know its a piece of crap...but its all I can afford. I bought it used a while ago, and despite having a footswitch jack right on the front of the amp, it did not come with one. I built one myself that switches between clean and drive. That was no problem. 1 switch, 1 stereo plug and an old patch cable. I want a little something more now, though.

Its setup with 2 channels, A and B. B is clean, A is overdrive. The overdrive channel has two gain settings though, labeled 1 and 2. I want a footswitch that will allow me to select between B, A1 and A2.

Unfortunately, I cannot find a schematic for this amp. Based on what I have mentioned, though, do you think its possible to build this kind of box (Im assuming it would require 2 switches)? If so, could someone point me in the right direction, at least? Im a noob, and I am hoping this project could help me better familiarize myself with my soldering iron, and also hopefully boost my confidence, as fixing my Smallstone has been slightly disastrous thus far.

Thanks for any help you can offer, and if you need more info, lemme know.

niftydog

I assume there's a conventional switch that selects between gain settings? Replace this switch with a footswitch! You shouldn't need the schematic I would think. Only trouble is that you may need to have the footswitch in place all the time, else the amp might not work at all!

(it's assumed that the gain setting switch is always in circuit, hence, the gain setting footswitch must also be in circuit. There are ways around this, involving switching sockets etc. which are slightly more complex, but still very much acheivable.)
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

David

What about just jumpering the panel switch connections with the footswitch connections?  It was suggested that this was how I could make the Boost switch on my Classic 30 footswitchable, but I don't have the guts to try it(yet).