High Speed Phase 45 Mod ?

Started by petemoore, May 20, 2005, 02:31:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

I tried searching some dead links, looked for Torchy's entries, and at Tonepad.
 WOnderful sounding phase 45 built last night, boxed today, could use super high speed mode mod...sorry to pester, I'm sure it's somewhere, I just can't seem to find it.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

MartyMart

Pete, would that be the parallel pair of 8k2's connecting to the wiper of
the 500k speed knob ??  --- giving you 4k1 ....
I hope thats the thing you're after ?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

petemoore

Quote from: MartyMartPete, would that be the parallel pair of 8k2's connecting to the wiper of
the 500k speed knob ??  --- giving you 4k1 ....
I hope thats the thing you're after ?
 I read that, and will try reducing that resistor, it'll be easy to just try that. I have a 470k in there, and the post wasn't exactly specific about where the mod was made, I also read that some 'larger' pot made for super slow about half rotation [like mine is] so lowering that would tend to make it go faster...I test !!
 Thanks Marty Mart !!
 Goes pretty fast, I want super fast !!! Thing sounds really great...two stages is a lotta phaze-bang for the bukk !!!

Marty.

phillip

Yep, all you have to do is replace the 7K5 resistor with a lower value.  I just finished my modified Phase 45 this afternoon and I used a 4K7...goes pretty fast.  It's also useful to use a 500K reverse audio taper pot, or the speed range will be bunched up at one end of the speed pot's rotation.

Going to post the pictures of my modified Phase 45 a little later this evening... :)

Phillip

petemoore

I was typing about a .001uf...nice wobble but more tremoloey, I changed that out for a .01uf with a .047uf > the second stage, that's a better range for me because it sounds more phasey that way.
 I put the 100k trim on the box with a rubber sinkvalve faucet washer...tapered kind, I just drill to size and push 'em on...fast ez and cheep...oh I file and paint an indicator marker on it. Just me, but I like having that knob on top so I can diddle with it. One side sounds pretty clean, the other side sounds like phase without sweep, the inbetweens are nice to be able to mess with, about 1/4 - 1/5th of the trim range illicits faint to profound sweep sounds.
 The ability to use dynamics and strum...what a relief...makes playing a total joy !!! I love the sound of the 45, I was 'without' for a long time after I ditched the first one, this ones working sooo sweeet !!!
 I put a switch on the speed range knob, at fast, the switch makes about a doubling+ of speed, as the 500k is turned a little toward slow, it gets say 1.5 times as fast [the difference between having the 10k speed limit R switched to having it be around 6k], once the speed is slowed the difference 'isn't heard...the less than 10k difference is dwarfed by the 5ook once it's 'awoken'....I have it set so what my 'normal' speed is, hitting the switch about doubles it.
 I'll be darned if the LFO won't 'pester' a booster for being there, I can't seem to get the clock sound out of the Mosfet Boost...I may try a Jfet booster there, it sounds superb with just a boxed Mosfet Boost after it.