Substitutes for LM308?

Started by Steben, May 24, 2005, 09:21:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

iainpunk

Quote from: thetragichero on April 24, 2021, 05:30:48 PM
purely anecdotal and i have been told that i'm totally wrong by folks, but in the circuit i built lm308 and lm318 both sounded the same to me. both were about the same price from some us-based ebay seller when purchased a year or two ago
i can assure you that they sound quite different when running to the rails without diodes or tone control (that's how i test IC's for distortion character.) the 308 is quite soft/subdued* compared to the extremely bright 318. this is also confirmed with the data sheets; 308 and its extreme slowness, 0.3v/us is the slew rate ''filter'' high end out, the 318 has 50v/us (IIRC) which leaves all the high end in.

the difference between chips is mainly hearable in the upper high end, and having the tone/filter taking out high end makes the difference smaller and smaller the further you turn up the filter (or turn down a traditional tone control)

cheers, Iain

i'm not saying the lm308 is soft/subdued on its own, but you get that impression when comparing with faster chips
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers

thetragichero

ahh i tested in a rat-type circuit with clipping diodes and a baxandall tone circuit afterwards. very unscientific but all i really cared about was how it worked in that particular case. suppose it doesn't help the conversation as much as i thought

mozz

While stripping old circuit boards for parts, i found LT1013 dual opamps, slew is 0.2-0.4 v/us. I don't know what it was used for but other specs may be good while slew is low.
  • SUPPORTER

iainpunk

Quote from: thetragichero on April 24, 2021, 07:54:27 PM
ahh i tested in a rat-type circuit with clipping diodes and a baxandall tone circuit afterwards. very unscientific but all i really cared about was how it worked in that particular case. suppose it doesn't help the conversation as much as i thought
you actually contribute more than you think, by demonstrating that in a more complex circuit, the IC doesn't matter as much as it does in a simple circuit.

cheers
friendly reminder: all holes are positive and have negative weight, despite not being there.

cheers