Monster pedal!

Started by Ge_Whiz, May 26, 2005, 06:23:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ge_Whiz

Just got back from the Dayton Hamvention at the weekend, and spotted this behemoth in the flea market:

Clock the size of the 6.25" jack socket and stompswitch to get the real size of this monster.

No, I didn't buy it. Too big to carry home! :(

loki

what the hell :o
i bet it's uncrashable  :wink:

petemoore

Didn't Morley produce an Oil Can type device, and isn't that it ^?
 Big, bulky and cool, too 'maintainence' and super hard to find 'parts unfriendly' if it is...
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

niftydog

QuoteOil Can type device

looks like it to me too. Ler from Primus uses one, R.G. has an article on them... that's about the extent of my knowledge.
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

RLBJR65

Hey, looks like one I saw at the Fort Wayne computerfest or hamfest last year. Damn thing weighed about 40lbs. Morley likes sharing :D the owners manual and schem. are on Morley's Telray page. http://www.morleypedals.com/downloads2.html

Ge_Whiz, I didn't make it to Dayton this year :( hope you had a great time though!!
Richard Boop

petemoore

Soundclips of oil can delays...rare? I'd like to hear one.
 I'd like to build one, but, well, ya know, I don't have a complete machine shop...lol and...
 I'd want plexi-glass on it so I could see the internals moving...there are 'external spinning drums or something arent' there...I'd want them to show a little bit.
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

Khas Evets

I've got one. It's a beast. It creates a rotating speaker sound using an oil can. Mine's noisy (I've heard they all are), but it's a cool effect. One of these days I'll cash in, since I rarely pull it out.

RickL

I have three of those; the Rotating Wah and two Delays (one only partially working). It is indeed an oil can delay and while they do sound cool (the Rotating Wah moreso than the Delay) aside from the wonderful looks there isn't anything really special about the sound.

The echo in particular sound pretty much like any analog delay from that time, closer to a tape echo than a BBD based delay, with perhaps just a bit more 'wobble' in the sound. Morley seems to have used a least two circuit variations for this pedal. I bought the second one figuring I could use my working one as a template to repair it. Turns out the wiring and the circuit board layout at least are different. And I can't find a schematic at Morley's site or anywhere else.  :(

The real cool thing about the Rotating Wah is in the combination of effects more than in the technology used to acheive the sound. A standard wah and a short delay (even digital) should give very close to the same sound.

If this sound negative I don't mean it to. I love old Morley effects and I have 5 or 6 others in addition to the ones I've blathered about here.

Rodgre

I would say that I sort of collect oil-can delays, though at the moment, I have a collection of "dead" ones and one stellar sounding working one.

Tel-Ray is the company that invented the "Adineko" oil can echo technology, which they sold under their own name, and licensed to Fender (the Echo-Reverb, Dimension IV, etc), Gibson, Rickenbacker, etc.

Tel-Ray became Morley and continued to offer pedals with the technology until BBD analog delay chips became affordable.

My working unit is a Tel-Ray Super Organ Tone, which has the fluttery, dull sounding echo with a wobbly vibrato. It is one of my favorite effects.

I also have a Morely echo pedal (which looks like the rotating wah as well) and another Organ Tone, and a Fender Echo-Reverb which all need new oil, which is not as carcinogenic as we used to think.

Read R.G's awesome explanation of the oil-can delay.

Roger

Ge_Whiz

Hmmm, thanks for the info, guys. It didn't occur to me that this was an oil can device. The box on the back was so big, for all I knew it could have had a small rotating speaker in it!

Yup, Hamvention was good this year, with nice weather on the Saturday especially. Catches included a 1962 Zenith TV "Reverberator" (spring line reverb with valve driver for 'concert hall' sound) boxed and as new for $25; MN3007-based stereo reverb box for $5; Realistic 3-band parametric equalizer, boxed, for $15; two Trio/Kenwood 10" speakers, $1 (no, really); Roland acoustic trigger for $10; Superlux studio electret mic for $40...

I had to pass up the Yamaha 300W 6-channel powered mixer with speakers for $125: couldn't carry it home.  :cry:

Melanhead

Hmmmm .... Yup I have the Morley Sound Synthesizer ( I think that's what it was called! ... ) ... It's also a rotating can device about the size of the one in the pic... I bought it for $5 a long time ago. I've plugged it in once and it sounded like it slowed down the input sound ... like an octave effect .... but slower, low and growly.... I'm not sure what this thing is supposed to do so I don't even know if it's working right... cool though! ..

here's a pic ...

http://www.effectsdatabase.com/model/1022/

RLBJR65

Melanhead schem. for that is also on the Morley - Telray page, no manual though.

Unofficial Telray Homepage http://www.geocities.com/tel_ray/
Telray Oilcan addicts forum http://p200.ezboard.com/btelrayoilcanaddicts
R.G. Keen http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/oil_can_delays.htm

Rodgre, you have any pics of the oil can(s)? I'd sure like to see one.
Richard Boop

Paul Marossy

I would never put a Morley on my pedalboard. It would take up half of my pedalboard!  :roll:

Melanhead

Quote from: RLBJR65Melanhead schem. for that is also on the Morley - Telray page, no manual though.

Unofficial Telray Homepage http://www.geocities.com/tel_ray/
Telray Oilcan addicts forum http://p200.ezboard.com/btelrayoilcanaddicts
R.G. Keen http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/oil_can_delays.htm

Rodgre, you have any pics of the oil can(s)? I'd sure like to see one.

Thanks man! ... I have to remember to plug it in again ... and take a pic ...

RLBJR65

Melanhead, thanks that would be great! I have never seen the oilcan used in these. One of the surplus dealers I visit regularly is cleaning out stuff that has not seen the light of day in 20 + years and I've been keeping an eye out for odball things like this.
Richard Boop

Melanhead

Damn! ... I forgot again last night! ... I just wrote it on my hand so I'd remember :) ... I'll try again tonight...

Melanhead

I plugged my Morley Rotating Sound Synthesizer in and it still works but can't seem to slow the rotation down ... maybe that's not what the "variation" lever does anyways ...

The "rotating sound intensity" seems to make the effect louder and actually causes my marshall to overdrive as I turn the knob up ...

hmmmm interesting .... I'm assuming not too many people have heard this thing ... it's kinda "leslie" like I guess...

RLBJR65

Cool, thank you!

Can't see it all from the pics. but that lever looks all mechanical to me so it's probably supposed to do what you thought; speed up or slow down the rotor or whatever its driving. Is there a tension pully in there? Maybe the belt is bad or out of adjustment, bushings need lubed something along that line.

I'm going to take a peek at the schematic again. To bad they don't have any mechanical drawings! I'm much better at mechanical stuff then electrical. From the outside it doesn't really look to complicated. Probably a trade secret at the time. I guess depending on whats inside it could be easily replicated.

Thanks again,
Richard
Richard Boop

RLBJR65

Crap, I haven't checked out that Telray page in quite some time, there are some internal oil can pics posted. They are in the picture gallery under GUTS. The 2 they have posted work kind of like a hard drive, disk read/write heads etc. Just glancing at the forum I would have to say they have done some extensive research and experimenting in an attempt to recreate the disk without a whole lot of success.
Richard Boop

Melanhead

The spring seems to tighten and losen but I'm not sure if that's the whole mechanism ... I'll have to investigate, at a later date ... Maybe I should sell it ... It's not something I'd likely use :)