3PDT Switch On A Wah

Started by smallbearelec, May 27, 2005, 09:52:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

smallbearelec

Last I heard anything on this topic, Carling DPDTs were still standard because the bushing on the 3PDT stomp is too short. I just stuck a 5023 bump-on under the top end of the treadle of a Crybaby shell that I'm experimenting with. With proper adjustment of the height of the blue switch, it works mechanically. Is this already common practice and I don't know it because I haven't had time to hang out here? If not, I hope that some out there will try the idea and refine it.

aron

Very cool! That would solve a lot of problems.

smallbearelec

OK...so maybe I am on to something. It might need experimenting with other bump-ons, height of switch, etc., to work out what's "ideal." Then I was trying to figure out how/where to mount an LED. I wasn't comfortable putting even a 3mm bezel at the top above the stomper. Might be best to find one of the fixtures that's designed to mount on a side wall with the LED facing up.

Fret Wire

Even just using the 3PDT wired without an led would be a useful alternative to the Carling 316-pp DPDT. The Mexican production 316 has occasional reliability problems the original 316 never had. The Carling is rated for 100,00 cycles mechanical life, and 25,000 cycles electrical life. I've never seen specs on the blue 3PDT. How many cycles is it rated for?

http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/s_110316.pdf
http://www.carlingtech.com/pdf/CarlingSW110_316P.pdf
Fret Wire
(Keyser Soze)

smallbearelec

I don't have a spec, but I also haven't had a lot of complaints of premature failure. I will ask the manufacturer.

Goatmeal

I have been using one for about a year now in my vox king wah.It workes just fine with the stock felt bumper,and one jam nut between the switch and wah.I added the rubber bumpers to the bottom of the treadle,and ended up cutting them down to about 1/8".I never put the LED in there,its not a subtle wah,you know its on.I do like the feel of the switch,it seems to have a shorter throw than the carling.

analog kid

I've been using the Blue 3P's in a couple of my wahs too. You do have to glue on about a 25% thicker  or so Felt pad to the underside of the rocker or it just won't reach to  accuate the switch. So I doubt that it's anything new if I do it I'd say alot of people use them for wahs.  Am I mistaken or doesn't George Teese use the Blue 3P's in his wahs?? If it's not him then it's another boutique manufacturer.
"Works fine with my Vox King Wah"
 Either the KING has a paper thin casing  OR you have the shorter style rubber compression stops beneath the front  of the rocker pedal. those really short Fat ones will allow a 3PDT to JUST reach and switch on /off.
See the man with the stage fright, just standing up there to give it all his might..

jimbob

I use them so ill have both the led and the true by-pass--..its the only way to go for me..also - i do add a little felt and its fine.
"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Paul Marossy

I true bypassed my GCB-95 and used a 3PDT switch because that's all I had to use. I had to do absolutely nothing special for it to work properly.

boogielicious

I used one on a Crybaby Bass Wah body and it worked fine with no bumper.  Will a bumper help reliability of the switch?

Scott