Introduction (and request for suggestions on JH2 mod)

Started by Joe Bonner, September 04, 2003, 01:47:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joe Bonner

Hi,

I'm a long-time lurker, finally ready to get my feet wet (and my fingers burned) with some DIY effects projects.

I was all ready to start an Easy Face (I've got the supplies from Steve at Small Bear) during a week off from work last week, but the time slipped away.

That's still on the agenda, but in the meantime, I picked up a JH2 on eBay for what I think was a decent price ($35), and I'd like to mod that, but I'm looking for suggestions.

My first thought is to go with an original PNP Ge fuzz face circuit (and disconnect the power jack so there are no accidents) and maybe tinkering with some mods suggested on RG's site.

Anything else I should consider? I don't think I want an all-Si FF, I'm not into that super fuzz sound.

Thanks.

Joe

Gus

Rob Strand

Some simply things to play with would be changing the valu of the the 2.2uF input cap, try values say 22n to 2u2.  Also, varying the 10k resistor on Q2's collector, a 10k pot here is something to play with, I suspect when the resistor is around 5.6k it will sound better.  Could try pulling the 1n cap on Q1. Any of the usual FF mods apply.
Send:     . .- .-. - .... / - --- / --. --- .-. -
According to the water analogy of electricity, transistor leakage is caused by holes.

petemoore59

To a couple questions you might want to ask...does it work and how does it sound>>?
  The Fuzz Face boxes are cool looking!!! I've only read recants about the tones obtained, but I would imagine it's probably not too hard to create or mad a ckt you'ld get more kix out of.
  I use RACO boxes for my stuff but if I had the FF box,
  I would probably want one of my favorite FUZZ ckts in it...it took a # of builds before I feel like I was satisfied that I'd found 'the' tone I wanted as a first string Fuzz.
  I think you can do very well using a 'modern [werd?hybrid?] design ie trim on Q2 collector, socketted transistors and input cap [or incap blend..another knob] [that would be a trim on Q3 of a tonebender...there's a plethora of FF ckts type ckts to choose from...most of the mods can be 'cross hacked' [taking a portion of a schem or mod and placing it into another existing ckt. ...playing around with this ckt in particular is educationally rewarding and widely variable/usable results allow the inspired tweaker  find the sound he [she] and his [her] guitar AND amp really like.
  Some ppl swear by germanuims, some say Si's are easier etc...they Are different for sure try sound samples at runoff groove and other sites.