VCR Splicing Tape for Echoplex Loops?

Started by Vsat, June 08, 2005, 12:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vsat

Hi List,
Anyone ever try this for splicing replacement Echoplex loops (as an alternative to old-fashioned reel-to-reel splicing tape)?
Cheers, Mike

markr04

It might work. It's 1/4" tape. But Echoplex machines are $1000 and use cartidges, right? This might be less of a headache, at $27:
http://www.fulltone.com/ETC-1.asp
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

toneman

i spliced my old Echoplex tape with superglue[sg].
Cut at angle, as usual, but B verry verry carefull with the
sg.  just a little-dab-a-do-ya.  Try to get the edges of the tape
down, that way it won't catch on anything.
U can get new echoplex tape cartriges on Ebay 4 about $40.
stayspliced
tone
  • SUPPORTER
TONE to the BONE says:  If youTHINK you got a GOOD deal:  you DID!

WGTP

I just use scotch tape for my splicing needs.
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Vsat

Thanks guys! Reason I'm asking is that my last piece of genuine splicing tape was used in making a new loop. The old loop looked like 50% of the oxide had fallen off. Sounds pretty good now with a homemade tension felt and brass strip (thanks again WGTP!). Notice a slight tick/discontinuity when the splice passes by the tape head. The tape that was in the cartridge (which appeared to be a replacement) made a loud thump in comparison.
Cheers, Mike

Mark Hammer

Hi Mike,

Please note message from Sam in your mailbox.

My experience with tape splicing stems from my, uh, "commitment" to 8-tracks.  I find the angle of splice can play a role in any splice-generated noise.  If the angle is shallower, the discontinuity is less noticeable.  Of course, having the splicing tape spread over a longer distance (which a shallow splice angle would necessitate) is not to everyone's, and every capstan's, liking.

Vsat

Mark - Thanks for forwarding Sam's message. Might be of interest to the list to post the pdf, as that particular chip was used in some old Korg VCF's of the "diode bridge" type.
Regards, Mike