Blown a 10k pot ... fire !!

Started by MartyMart, October 28, 2005, 09:14:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

Ha !
Never done that before, trying to build the "sixties fuzz" and had a mis-wire to 9v
the 5k fuzz pot went "poof" and lit up bright red !!!
Lost two caps also, the pot is now a 5k fixed resistor ...   :icon_lol:

Marty.  :icon_redface:
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Steben

Oink  ??? ...

Polarized pots???

Hey Marty, care to test the my Darling Fuzz? It's easy,no?... Oh, yes beware, it has a 10k pot  :o
;D
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

MartyMart

I'd love to, it will have to be monday though  :icon_wink:
Got it fixed, but as of yet..... not much fuzz.... lots of boost

M
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Hal

cool, fires always exciting...

were you shorting the battery on the pot?

Jaicen_solo

If you're getting boost but no fuzz, check the cap to ground coming off the emmitter of Q2. If the cap is connected to E without resistance, you'll just get boost.

cab42

Quote from: MartyMart on October 28, 2005, 09:14:19 AM
Ha !
Never done that before, trying to build the "sixties fuzz" and had a mis-wire to 9v
the 5k fuzz pot went "poof" and lit up bright red !!!
Lost two caps also, the pot is now a 5k fixed resistor ...   :icon_lol:

Marty.  :icon_redface:

Beware of the 10K's, They're dangerous!!

I had one catching fire on my orange squeezer the day before yesterday (an alligator crimp touching two lugs).

However, when I bought a new one yesterday and mounted it, the O.S actually worked. Subtle, but it worked!

Regards

Carsten
  • SUPPORTER
"Rick, your work is almost disgusting, it's so beautiful.  Meaning: it's so darned pretty that when I look at my own stuff, it makes me want to puke my guts out."
Ripthorn

jmusser

Hey Marty, did you read the two posts I had on this circuit? This is soooooo weird. I actually smoked a 100K pot when I first tried to bias Q2. I was using one I scavenged, so I just figured it was bad. It must be that when I had it at the 0 ohm end and it was actually shorted or something. I went to the 1 meg, and it never happened again. I ended up being at a little over 200K to get Q2 to work. Man that's just too strange! Smoke rolled out of that area that's open by the 3 lugs.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".