Disassembling 9V battery for the clip: dangerous?

Started by t-e-f, June 10, 2005, 11:02:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t-e-f

Anyone ever disassemble a 9-volt battery to get the clip?  Warnings say that it may explode - how careful do I need to be?  Thanks for any replies.

cd

Mark Hammer loves to do this to use the clip for DIY battery snaps.  Completely safe to do.  Just make sure you disconnect the battery from the effect first :)

R.G.

Actually, do be careful.

A friend of mine did get battery juice squirted into his eyes from a battery he was disassembling. It burned like crazy and necessitated a quick visit to the emergency room. His eyes are OK, but it's not something he's eager to do again.

Batteries MAY have internal pressure. They may explode in fires.

I would only try this with dead batteries myself. In fact, I would just buy clips, but YMMV.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

NaBo

Well, first make sure you didnt abuse the battery... like short circuiting it for fun, or hammering a nail through it, or microwaving it, or something.

Other than that, when you open the casing, you'll find 6 smaller batteries that look like AAAs.  Just don't puncture those and there will be no bad chemies to burn your fingies... just free hard battery snaps  8)

Mark Hammer

I'm not going to say the warnings are pointless, but it bears noting that many things have warnings simply as a protection for the manufacturer against farfetched and frivolous lawsuits (Remember Kramer's "spilt coffee" lawsuit on Seinfeld?).  IIRC there are several books published that contain compilations of the more bizarre warnings indicating things like the fact that the cape that comes with the Superman costume does not provide the wearer with the power to fly.  It won't be long until Kentucky Fried Chicken comes with a warning that ingestion could result in choking on bones,

All that aside, the fork in the road here consists of two decision points.  Is the connector portion on the battery made of shiny plastic?  If so, don't bother no matter what the state of the battery.  The only things surer than these things melting during solder are death and taxes.  If the top and bottom of the battery are a nice dull fibrous material (not unlike Fender pickup bobbins, only thinner), that will hold up to soldering well.

Road-fork #2 is the very issue raised by RG.  Avoid those situations where there is a possibility of the battery bursting, overheating, etc.  They should possess little current when tinkering with the insides.  I won't touch those above 4v myself.  Be sure to peel the casing back from the top, moving away from the contacts.  I use wire cutters because they can grip nicely but you may use a preferred tool of your own.

There is a document on my site (hammer.ampage.org) showing an example.  If I recall correctly, you'll need to right clock and save the pdf to be able to view it.

davebungo

I'm sure I have found old batteries before that look a little swelled up and ready to burst - I don't think I would try to open these up.

Tobias Karlsson

Be carefully, I done this with several batterys so I was very suprised, just a week ago, when one exploded! Not a big bang but it was enough to make me sober :-)

Tobias Karlsson in Sweden
Tobias Karlsson

Rick

I've removed the clips from maybe a dozen (dead) batteries with no problem so far. But for sure take precautions (eye protection) although I didn't, but after RGs story I probably will next time. On a similar note, I once chucked a 9v battery in my coat pocket with keys etc. in there (dead short), 15 mins later I grabbed it out and WoW baby was that sucker hot - dropped it like a hot potato -lucky it didn't explode in my pocket. Lots of amperage / watts expended even from something as small as a 9v battery. Lesson learned. ...Rick

LoKi6922

how much does a bag of clips cost? 3 bucks?

i'd rather spend the 3 bucks.

Tobias Karlsson

Quote from: LoKi6922how much does a bag of clips cost? 3 bucks?

i'd rather spend the 3 bucks.

He he, you’re absolutely right!

But for me it’s not about the money I save. I think it’s cool recycling stuff. If I counted the ours recycling all old things I used for parts/chassi, it would be a very bad “biz” for me, it would be easier to make money in a much more effective way  :D

Tobias Karlsson

Mark Hammer

I do it partly because I prefer to recycle batteries as much as possible (I even only cannibalize them for clips after they refuse to recharge anymore).  If you look here - http://ampage.org/hammer/files/Pedals.jpg - you'll see why (they ALL have working batteries in them).  But, I also do it because I find the leads that battery snaps come with are pretty flimsy and tear easily.

LoKi6922

Ge_Whiz

Rick

But, I also do it because I find the leads that battery snaps come with are pretty flimsy and tear easily.

As Mark stated above, this is the reason I believe most people recycle the clips. You'll make some really heavy duty clips with this method. No more ripped wires during circuit maintenance. Although I use them sometimes, I find the commercial clips of extremely low quality. It's actually a pet peave. This small wire guage should never have been selected for a purpose such as this, where there is a lot of physical  movement. Does anyone know of a good 9v clip source, or are they all crap like that? ...Rick

STOMPmole

ibanezts808

Quote from: Tobias KarlssonNot a big bang but it was enough to make me sober :-)

lol, thus the reason kentucky fried chicken may have to put that warning, lol.  just kidding.  but it's not good to mess with potentially explosive devices while intoxicated.  I own a battery company.  just thought I'd cover my ass  lol j/k.

warning:  battery dismemberment while intoxicated can be a potentially fun and sobering experience.
Hi Paul.  Welcome.  We are all Stompboxaholics

I am so cool.

Rick

"Is it really worth it to save 35 cents?"

If you want a really strong clip for something special, thats 'gonna see a lot of use and kicking around, well "YES", it is worth it. Don't get me wrong I use the crap stuff too for most of the builds, but I probably shouldn't.  (I just had to resolder the gnd wire on my tonebender today as it had broken off). It's not a question of money at all, but quality. ...Rick

Basstyra

It isn't a matter of saving money, but a matter of recycling. For me, recycling things is a way of life, I grab all I can all around (dead TV, cd player, computer, and so on) to get free parts, but also to offer them second life, more or less.
The best french bass-related forum : http://forum.onlybass.com
A french DIY forum : http://www.techniguitare.com/forum
My work (stille only in french, sorry ! ) : http://perso.wanadoo.fr/jumping-jack/atelier/atelier.html