Submini Tube Booster Project

Started by ragtime8922, June 13, 2005, 10:07:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bergman

the latest pic. just a few more wires.....

sean k

I think Zach means putting both triodes in parallel,joined plates,grids and cathodes,and halving the plate and cathode resistors to get a bit more current coming out of the plate.A bigger river will take up less sediment to really stretch the water anology.
Monkey see, monkey do.
Http://artyone.bolgtown.co.nz/

ragtime8922

Quote from: sean kI think Zach means putting both triodes in parallel,joined plates,grids and cathodes,and halving the plate and cathode resistors to get a bit more current coming out of the plate.A bigger river will take up less sediment to really stretch the water anology.

Thanks Sean and Zachary.
Actually, I have been thinking and testing a ton of things to do with that other triode for just this little boost project and it led to some extremely cool results. I now have 2 more projects in the works.

My family is starting to miss me. I've been in my work area from 6:00AM untill Midnight every day on all of my R&D stuff. Only breaks are eating, bathroom and a few brief computer minutes for e-mail and thread stuff.

You will all like the projects that are to come.....

Bill Bergman

:shock: I'm holding my breath! :oops:

nelson

Sorry but.

ooooooooo those mini tubes are soooooooooooo cute.  :P
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

ragtime8922

Quote from: nelsonSorry but.

ooooooooo those mini tubes are soooooooooooo cute.  :P

I'm glad you said that so I don't have to. :lol:

And they sound great too! Wait until you guys gear the bluesy od I have for you with the 5718 submini triode. Jazz to Blues tones. warm, warm, warm!!!

jjs

Bill, may I ask where You bought these neat subminiature sockets?

Bill Bergman

JJs,
those are 8 pin round sockests for old syle IC's. They come in quite a few configurations and styles. I found them at a local ectronic surplus store.

Ragtime8922,
what voltage are you running your tubes at?

jrc4558

Hey!
Once we're on the subject...
Does anybody knows what are the tubes numbered 5798? 7pins, sub-mini

Bill Bergman

Plugged it in, got 137vdc. Heaters did't come up. Got some smoke. Luckly it was just from the resistors I had in series to drop the 7vac to 6vac. Guess they weren't high enough watt rating for the current plus wasn't the right ohms with all 3 tubes heaters. I had tested the resistors on one tube only not all 3 at once.

Ragtime, if you want me to stop hijacking your thread, just let me know.

ragtime8922

Quote from: Bill BergmanPlugged it in, got 137vdc. Heaters did't come up. Got some smoke. Luckly it was just from the resistors I had in series to drop the 7vac to 6vac. Guess they weren't high enough watt rating for the current plus wasn't the right ohms with all 3 tubes heaters. I had tested the resistors on one tube only not all 3 at once.

Ragtime, if you want me to stop hijacking your thread, just let me know.

:lol: No way Bill, your comments are VERY welcome around me. I love subminis and the unique tones they provide. I am running my tubes at 165 volts. I know Zvex is running his at like 225 volts. I'm happy with the 165 volts plus that is all I can get out of my torroid tranny so no need to R&D this particular circuit at higher voltages. Future projects may use more voltage but physical size is an issue right now.

If you are smoking resistors then try like 2, 3 or even 5 watt resistors for the power supply. In the preamp section I suggest using the lowest possible wattage ratings because they have less noise. But make sure they are high enough by running them for long periods of time in your testing. 1/2watt for mine.

Wow, I'm gonna have a big treat for you guys. I just don't want to release anything else til I have it (them) perfect. I'm real close....

Bill Bergman

Thanks Ragtime,
I've got 2 more 5902's coming in the mail. :D

ragtime8922

5902's are awesome tubes. Are you going with SE Class A?