Insanity Box trimmers into CMOS;direction to rotate for gain

Started by syzygy, June 15, 2005, 09:15:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

syzygy

I have built the insanity box circuit and I'm wondering why I get more gain when I rotate trim pads 2 and 3 counter clockwise instead of clockwise.  If I'm reading the schematic right, then when fully clockwise, each trimmer into the CMOS should cause zero resistance into the CMOS section, correct?  Wouldn't that cause more feedback into the CMOS, and thus more gain?

thanks

aron

Higher resistance = more gain. Less resistance, less gain in the loop.

syzygy

Thanks for confirming this Aron.  I guess I have it built right... with the TL071 and the additional 1k resistor feeding the second JFET source it sounds great but not as ultra high gain as the sound clips.. so tonight I will try shorting out the 1k resistor for added gain and report on that.

aron

Cliff Schecht

I'm actually doing a layout for this, trying to make it Hammond 1590BB friendly. I also did one for the HMP, but kinda sorta umm yeah, put the op-amps in upside down :( I might give the lite a try, hopefully sounds just as good.

syzygy

Aron,

Well, I shorted out the 1k resistor and all I can say is now THAT's what I'm talkin about !  You're right, plenty of gain to be had here!  I'm yanking out the 1k and burning it, it really cut the balls off of this circuit as far as I'm concerned.

One other note, I switched between several opamps, RC4558P, RC4559P, TL071CP, LF353P, NE5532N, TL072.  (I had to rewire the circuit to handle the dual opamps and the single opamps.. I've listed both types here).  My two favorites are the TL071 and the RC4558P.  (these two have different pinouts)  The TL071 had a good growl to it, and the RC4558P sounds tighter and more compressed, but still open enough to let your picking expression through.

Happy I am!  :D