Recent question about a "fuzz" DS-1

Started by Steben, June 16, 2005, 07:08:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steben

Is it possible one can achieve a good fuzz sound by using a Ge diode - Si diode reverse couple whilst raising all input, coupling and feedback loop cap values for more dirty bass distortion?
  • SUPPORTER
Rules apply only for those who are not allowed to break them

WGTP

That would be the direction I would go if I were trying to make one sound like a fuzz.  IMHO GE's sound more fuzzey, might use 2 instead of the 1 SI.  Or, try just using 1 diode for some real assymetrical mauling.    :twisted:

People's definitions for FUZZ vary, but to me running a lot of Bass and reduced Highs into the distortion circuit, gets there.  I would use sockets for tuning purposes.   8)
Stomping Out Sparks & Flames

Bernardduur

No, it would not sound like a fuzz, it would sound like a distortion who has more bassy and less highs and is not as sterile as some other Si diode based clippers. You must understand that diode clipping and fuzz sound (by transistors) is somehow a bit of a different beast; so you can emulate, not clone.

Still, I like the sound of Ge diodes clipping. In my Coron Distortion 10 (clone of a MXR Distortion +) there is stock 2 Ge diodes that sound awesome. I replaced the clipping stage with a 12 stage selector switch so I choose the diode needed for clipping and thus can differ between Ge and Si next to LED's and their symmetrical and asymmetrical derivates. I love my dirt box.
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account