Can you help me find what I am looking for?

Started by gotdabluz, June 16, 2005, 11:19:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gotdabluz

I really enjoy my Boss BD-2.  I like the way that the volume boost works independently from the gain boost.  With other pedals I have used or built, it doesn't seem that you can have the best of both worlds like that.  They also dont seem to have the range on either control that this pedal has.

I would like to find a DIY circuit that works the same way.  A nice clean volume boost that you can add a progressive amount of gain/dirt to.

I've looked at the BD-2 schem, and I cannot figure out what some of the parts are and where the so-called bypass stops and the real meat of the circuit is . . .

As far as I can tell, it looks like some kind of discrete op-amp type of thing going on, but other than that . . .it is way beyond me.

Not necessary, I guess to get an exact clone . . . especially since I would like true-bypass and components that I can acquire from regular sources.

Is there anything out there in DIY land that functions like the Blues Driver?

MartyMart

The "ROG" Peppermill will get you close   www.runoffgroove.com
It's designed for "subtle" drive, but provides a very nice volume boost
even with the drive control at "zero"
Here's what they sent to me regarding "more gain/drive" from the
circuit :

For more gain, you can:

reduce the Q1 source pin resistance to 510 ohms
use an 8n2 or 10n in place of the 6n8 coupling cap
try increasing the 1uF Q2 source bypass cap

If you have a lot of J201 to test, you may be able to find a hotter
one.  However, I'd try the above mods first.

( you could try 2N5457 or NTE 458 also, but watch the pinout ! )

Also, keep in mind that the Peppermill isn't intended to have a lot of
crunch.  Our target was transparent, tube-like distortion reminiscent
of a Fender amp that is just loud enough to start breaking up a bit.

Let me know how the mods work out!

B

I tried this, but went back to the original circuit, as I have enough
"High gain" pedals to sink a ship !!

Regards,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

gotdabluz

Thanks MartyMart!

FWIW,  I rarely push the drive of the BD-2 past 25-30% - especially with humbuckers, but it is nice to be able to add some grit to an otherwise clean boost function . . .

The Peppermill sounds interesting . . . certainly a worthwhile place to start . . . I have heard good things about it, but did not realize it would function as you described.  I'll give it a shot.

Thanks again
--SG