Dragonfly's Red Llama clone has a HUGE boost !!!

Started by Xavier, June 16, 2005, 04:03:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Xavier

I've just built this simple circuit, following the fantastic  layout hosted in this site. It is a very transparent fuzz-drive. The gain range goes from a nice full-range drive until 60% to a nice fuzz when maxed.

I have only a problem. The boost level is INMENSE. With the level pot totally at the minimum setting, the result is already fairly higher than the dry signal.  I'd like to achieve at least unity gain, but with the 100k pot it seems to be impossible. Could I substitute the 100k pot with a different value (say, 250k or so)?

Thanks all

Mark Hammer

Here's what you do.

Get yourself a 50k pot, solder a 39k resistor in series with the input lug and a 12k resistor between the ground lug and ground.

What you have just done is mimicked a 100k pot that never gets turned up all the way, and can't be turned down all the way.  If I had my choice, I think I'd rather go with a 75k pot and 24k series resistor on the input, but, uh, they tend not to make 75k pots so this is the nearest functional equivalent.  I'm not sure that use of a different "mimicked pot" will necessarily change all that much tonally, but at the very least you will have retained the same resistance value and whatever effect that *might* have on tone, and carved away that part of the pot's rotation that you don't really need.

If it turns out that 39k is way too big, try 27k on one side and 22k on the other.  If 39k isn't enough, go bigger.

Xavier

Thanks Mark, I'll try your suggestion right away !!!!