Capacitor Question

Started by trescat, June 17, 2005, 09:10:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trescat

:roll: Would a capacitor rated at 200 VAC operate alright with a load of 240 VAC going through it ??, Thanks :?

vanhansen

For about a nanosecond....then......BANG!!!!  There she blows.  :shock:  :D
Erik

MartyMart

Its always better to "over do" the power rating in circuits, if you are going
to run at 12v use 16 -24 volt caps..
For 240v use 300-400v caps :D
then all will be fine ....

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

R.G.

In general,

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER, NEVER,

ever use a part at a higher voltage stress than it's rated for.

Sudden release of smoke and/or unintended pyrotechnics happen a lot, as does quiet nonfunctioning.

Sometimes it appears to work OK. When that happens, you have to ask yourself - do you feel lucky today... er, I mean, for *how long* will it continue to work outside its ratings?

Sometimes it looks like it worked. This is a little like the T-shirts which appeared after the Three-Mile Island nuke almost melted down. They said
"I survived Three-Mile Island... I think."

A clear dividing line is what voltage ratings are for.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

RedHouse

Specially with caps, they can pop (explode) and get crap in your eye.
(really, I'm not kidding)

ibanezts808

Yeah, I'd rather spend the extra money.  I've grown fond of my eyes.  I have a little rule of thumb around here.  If it sounds like it could be dangerous, it probably is.
Hi Paul.  Welcome.  We are all Stompboxaholics

I am so cool.