Guess what this is... (PIC)

Started by Fp-www.Tonepad.com, June 17, 2005, 05:17:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

I didn't measure, I'd have to unsolder them to measure, so I won't.

But DC resistance is not that important, just go by the turns.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

R.G.

QuoteBut DC resistance is not that important, just go by the turns.
It's not crucial, but it is important; at least it's important that it be low enough to let the 386 get enough current into the drive coil at low voltages.

Say, under 4 ohms  :wink:
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

I'm confident with my calculations... my aim was (since you ask!) 8 ohm out, 100 ohm in.

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

Arno van der Heijden

Did you use a blocking cap on the input coil?

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Same circuit as the schematic, so no.

Arno van der Heijden

What's the 4th electrolythic cap for? Supply filtering?

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Eric H

Nicely done Francisco.

Quote from: Fp-www.Tonepad.comif I build a second one they will be 1/2 of a pole piece.

Fp
Yes, I suspect the next one will be much smaller ;)

-Eric
" I've had it with cheap cables..."
--DougH

puretube

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Idle: 2mA
full power: 100mA

(note: I'll check those values again tomorrow) :wink:

Marcos - Munky

Is the LED only for visual effect? And where did you connected it in the schematic?

Dirk_Hendrik

I must say that my first thought was that it could be an active pickup for playing Punk. In those cases 2 strings is usually enough.
More stuff, less fear, less  hassle and less censoring? How 'bout it??. To discuss what YOU want to discuss instead of what others decide for you. It's possible...

But not at diystompboxes.com...... regrettably

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

The LED is just a power indicator. But it's very useful for finding the correct position. It can be left out, but you'd have go line it up in the dark.

Fp

psw

Hello there...You know I posted about similar work on this forum some time ago and got flamed over it... :shock: ...so I retreated back to where I came from...Project Guitar...nevertheless, 800+ contributions later and over 16,000 visits...we've advanced a little further...actually the DIY sustainer is a reality as a result for all six strings...

http://projectguitar.ibforums.com/index.php?showtopic=7512&pid=200733&st=810&#entry200733

Here's a pic of a couple of drivers I've made but there are more examples by others....

I've even created a (as far as I know) pickup/driver combination and posted a step by step tutorial on how it was made...

Anyway...dont hang out here to often...responded to a tip...not to dis' this work either...but if people would like to know more and maybe even add to the discussion....make your way over to PG and join in

psw

bwanasonic

I'm kind of a broken record when this topic comes up, but I feel it's very important to call these devices, say "DIY sustainers", and NOT "Ebow work-alikes. The physical design of the Ebow (ie. the ridges on the bottom) is absolutely key to the full range of Ebow technique. The sustain function of the Ebow works hand in hand with these ridges to produce an incredible array of plucked and bowed effects. The *infinitely held note* is only one aspect of Ebow technique. You can hear more advanced Ebow techniques at:

http://www.ebow.com/ebow/sounds.htm

Kerry M

psw

Quite right...there's not a lot of detail here but the picture suggests that this is just a driver...

The ebow is such a simple and elegant design...and surprisingly difficult to reprodce (although it's been done)...

The Sustainer though has it's own vocab of techniques, is more polyphonic and more easily integrates into a guitarist's existing right hand technique in particular...

Fair call though

pete

puretube

who`s gonna build the first hexaphonic sustainator...  :?:  :idea:  :?:

bwanasonic

Quote from: puretubewho`s gonna build the first hexaphonic sustainator...  :?:  :idea:  :?:

I have never tried any of the Fernandes style sustainors, but I can imagine it would be cool (and useful) to be able to toggle the sustain function on/off for individual strings. I need to get one of those Fernandes Sustainor thingies.

Kerry M

R.G.

QuoteYou know I posted about similar work on this forum some time ago and got flamed over it...

Just out of curiousity - I did a search on all the posts you've ever done here, and read the threads. I didn't notice any flames in the threads. Did I miss something?

You did mention some PMs with flaming content, but that's not something the public can see.

So was there other flaming, perhaps under a different logon? This forum is usually quite civil.
R.G.

In response to the questions in the forum - PCB Layout for Musical Effects is available from The Book Patch. Search "PCB Layout" and it ought to appear.

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

PSW, that's pretty cool.

I'd like to build one of those as well. On which page of the thread is the step by step tutorial?

Fp