fuzzface myths or facts????

Started by csmatt45, August 07, 2005, 12:36:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

csmatt45

Searched for about 40min, think I found out everything about fuzzface pedals except what I was looking for.

1) does going with a 100k volume instead of a 500k reduce output level at max volume?

2) heard from a very unreliable source that PNP circuits use less ma (battery draw)  than NPN. is this bull-s%*t?

3) this is more of a "how to" than a myth. How could I add a oct up to a fuzzface. I ask because I saw an old post in my search saying that some people like to add a oct up to a fuzz they like, rather than build a superfuzz, tycho, etc. Someone know a link with a "how to" for a greenhorn like me?

thanks folks!!

Matt

Transmogrifox

I don't think you would be able to tell the difference between using a 500k or 100k pot.  This is one of those instances where the input impedance of your amp, or the next pedal in line could make that much difference.

NPN vs. PNP  :  there should be no difference in drain from the battery that would be any more or less than the inherent variance between multiple NPN pedals.  FF's are so low on battery drain that it wouldn't make a difference anyway.  Batteries last a long time in those units.

There are various ways you can do an Oct. up on any pedal.  Some octave starts to come out if you bias it to get more extreme asymetric clipping.  Usually you need to add some form of full-wave rectifier.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

brett

Quote3) this is more of a "how to" than a myth. How could I add a oct up to a fuzzface. I ask because I saw an old post in my search saying that some people like to add a oct up to a fuzz they like, rather than build a superfuzz, tycho, etc. Someone know a link with a "how to" for a greenhorn like me?
Check out the schematics for the RM axis fuzz and the RM octavia.  The octavia consists of the axis plus an octave section (IMO its the best octave section there is).  The octavia octave section should work really well on the end of a fuzzface.  But then again..... the RM axis fuzz is up there with the fuzzface anyway, so you might not gain that much by doing the switcheroo.  Thinking about it makes build a straightout octavia seem a good option to me, but it's your call.

have fun!
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)