my 3 fuzz weekend

Started by idiot savant, June 20, 2005, 03:00:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

idiot savant

well, it was a fuzzy last few days :P  I've been waiting for the final parts to arrive for my AD3208 w/modulation build so i figured i might as well whip up some fuzz for kicks

Friday: Boutique 60's fuzz face--i perfed it in an hour, and had it finished in another hour, I used the layout on GGG, and Dragonfly's layout as guidelines. This is my first germanium fuzz, and damn, i thought it sounded like poo at first, kinda farty and mushy. I got bored tinkering with it, and let it sit overnight. What a difference a day makes, it really sounds different on a day to day basis. Very tweakable circuit, nice singing sustain, and sweet distortion, not a real "hairy" fuzz, but I like it for what it is...

Saturday: First up was Tim Escobedo's Punch in the Face--me likey, i used Dragonfly's layout as a guide again, and this one wails, tons of sustain, big huge fuzz, and a wicked octave  :twisted: def has a permanent spot on my board.
i was up until 8am(work 2nd shift) so i figured what the heck, might as well make another one:
Dragonfly's Mezcal Fuzz--really neat ragged fuzz with a cool kinda swirly crackle to it. I was having some problems with noise, but it turned out that the footswitch was hitting the input jack :oops:  it still has some of that swirly fizz when you stop playing, but not that bad, i don't know why, but i REALLY like this one, its a trashy garage type fuzz that is really fun to play, even has a hint of octave to it as well, which surprised me, i had to up the 100k gain pot to 1m for a decent range of use, and it seems to like the crappy radioshack transistors better than good ones :?

all in all lots of fun fuzz...

THANKYOU THANKYOU THANKYOU to Dragonfly for making all his layouts available, they REALLY REALLY helped even though I don't use Vero.
Thanks to everyone here on the forums as well, I don't think I would be able to do ANY of this without this VERY valuable resource.

ROCK ON!

MartyMart

That sounds like it was fun :D
The great thing is, you picked three that I have not tried ! and I must have build 20 fuzzes !!!

Cheers and glad you're having success with your builds,
satisfying, isnt it ?

BTW for a HUGE fuzz, try my Roger Mayer Mongoose fuzz...
You will LOVE that !!

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/Martys-layouts-and-photos/Mongoosefix

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

idiot savant

Quote from: MartyMartThat sounds like it was fun :D
The great thing is, you picked three that I have not tried ! and I must have build 20 fuzzes !!!

BTW for a HUGE fuzz, try my Roger Mayer Mongoose fuzz...
You will LOVE that !!

http://aronnelson.com/gallery/album03/Mongoosefix

Marty.

that one of yours looks like a winner....
i'll try that one after the Crash Sync.

so many fuzzes so little time :D

Dragonfly

sounds like youve really been bitten by the DIY bug !

i'm glad my layouts helped you build successful projects...keep building, rock out, and let there be noise !

andy