newbie here with first built (pics)

Started by Lenno, June 20, 2005, 06:32:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lenno

Hi all!

I'm new here, my name is Len and I live in the Netherlands
After lurking around on this forum i decided to built a orange squeezer.
I had never before built a stompbox other than a channelswitch.
I do know how to solder and can read schemes a bit.
The only electronics I've done before is fixing guitars
I built the squeezer from the ggg site, and it was very easy.
after it was finished i tested it. There was a lot of hiss. I couldn't find what the problem was, but yesterday I decided to reheat all the solder-joints and it worked! the hiss is gone and it sounds amazing!
here are some pics:

Len

Alex C

That's very very nice, and amazing for your first time!  The quality of "first builds" around here recently is astounding.  That's better than anything I've put together, and I've built 20-30 of these things.  Excellent work!

loki

it looks very cool!
what did you use to paint the enclosure?

Lenno

thanks, I'm very proud it turned out nice.
I used a spraycan of primer, then white laquer, applied a waterslide decal and finished it whit a laquer clearcoat

MartyMart

Lenno, that's beautiful work man !!  well done :D
I have not made anything that nice looking, functional - Yes Pretty - NO !!

Cheers,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

nelson

Looks much sexier than my first attempt.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

ezanker

Great work! I bet your are addicted now :)

Can't wait to see your next one.
Erik

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

LivingDeadPunk

Very nice especially for a first build!
Technological progress is like an axe in the hands of a pathological criminal.

Albert Einstein

markusw

Hm, does'nt just look better than my first build....looks better than all of them together. Phantastic!!! 8)

One Q: how did you apply the decal? I suppose you used one piece for the whole top.

Markus

gaussmarkov

Gorgeous!  How about some pics of the inside, too?

vanhansen

Nice job.  I must try the waterslide decal method.  My first build didn't get a box for months.
Erik

Lenno

Quote from: markuswOne Q: how did you apply the decal? I suppose you used one piece for the whole top.

Markus
It was indeed one piece for the top. I made one mistake drilling the holes before applying the finish and the decal.  had to cut away the decal wich was over the holes. after installing and tightening the led-holder(?) the decal curled up around the edge. But you can hardly see it.

I will post some pictures of the inside as soon as I can
It's not as nicely done as the outside I must say. I used a ready to solder circuit board from ggg. The wires are a bit messy...
For mounting the circuitboard to the box, I used a cd jewelcase, wich i cut to fit inside the box holding it in place bij the 3dpt switch. Then I taped the circuitboard to the jewelcase with doublesided tape. This way I can easily get it out.
here's a simple drawing:

Lenno

And I accidently ordered axial capacitors instead of radial so I had to bend one lead down the side to make them fit.

But hey, it's my first and I've learned a lot by just trying things..

Samuel

I like the idea of the PCB mounting plate though...

vanhansen

Quote from: SamuelI like the idea of the PCB mounting plate though...

Me too.  That's a good way to keep it from touching the enclosure, even if you don't stick it to that.
Erik