Combined A/B/Y and channel switch

Started by ESPm2M, June 20, 2005, 06:11:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ESPm2M

Hi all, it's been a while, I hope everyone is well.

I want to wire up a custom switch that will both switch a signal path on/off and change the channel on my Mesa head.  My goal is to be able to enable the signal path of a second amp while on the distorted channel of my Mesa so as to fatten my distorted sound (obviously there are other ways to achieve this, but I  have the second amp laying around). FYI, the second amp is a single channel high gain amp that is pretty useless for clean sounds.

How can I wire up a single switch for this? I have a Morley A/B/Y that I can mod (perhaps with a 4PDT on the A/B switch?), but I'm not exactly sure how to do this.

Any thoughts?

The Tone God

Those Morley ABYs are passive and therefore can't drive two loads at once. You have to go active. I designed a simple active splitter circuit and PCB that retro-fits the Morley ABY. I've done numours upgrades for clients whom have all been happy with the conversion.

I don't know much about Mesa channel switching to comment. Maybe fit the active board and a 3PDT with another jack to control the amp.

Andrew

ESPm2M

Thank you Andrew. I'll look into an active design.  if you have any further comments or ideas they are more than welcome.

d95err

I'm building a similar box, but I'm using a simpler approach. I'm using a separate switch for the channel, but I put it close enough to the other switches to enable pushing both at the same time.

This gives virtually unlimited possibilities to combine sounds. Since I shape my sound mainly with stompboxes, I use the channel switching only as a solo boost, using more or less clean settings for both channels on my Peavey Classic 30.

My box is a passive 2 loop box, where I can select loop A or loop B (not both) or bypass. One switch for bypass, one switch for A/B and in the middle the channel switch.