Where can I get these 2SC536 for a Shin-ei/companion Fuzz

Started by vanessa, June 20, 2005, 07:14:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanessa

Where can I get these 2SC536 for a Shin-ei/companion Fuzz project I'm working on, or is there a sub that works good?

Thank you!

:D

Mark Hammer

They are still in production, as far as I know.  I picked up some at my favourite haunt in Toronto - Supremetronics - a while ago.  There is nothing particularly spectacular about them, though I suppose it pays to rule out transistor choice as a factor when a circuit sounds weird or not up to par.

My Japanese transistor databook shows the following specs for them:
Vcbo - 40v
Vceo - 30v
Ic  - 100ma
Pc - 200mw
Icbo - 1ua
hfe - 320

vanessa

I think you may be right Mark. I bread boarded this with some 2N5089's and some PN2369A's. It sounded very close. So I'm not sure that 2SC536's would make a big difference but I have never heard the original and wanted to get a feel for what it's supposed to sound like.

jrc4558

Depends on where you live. I've got a dealer here in Toronto, Canada, who sells a HUGE line of Japanese transistors for pennies. PM me if you want me to look up the number for you. Then I can just mail you some. Did this before, so you know... And stuf... :)

MartyMart

I've just built the Univox super fuzz, which is very similar to the companion etc etc.
The trannies make alsmost zero difference !
I used 2N5088's and one MPSA18 at the output for a bit more gain, as did
RDV.
I must have tried 20 combinations of others .... no change, other than perhaps a bit of "level".
RG suggests that the tone shaping/diodes are more relevant, so I am making  a few improvements there ....

There you go :D

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

vanessa

Quote from: MartyMartI've just built the Univox super fuzz, which is very similar to the companion etc etc.
The trannies make alsmost zero difference !
I used 2N5088's and one MPSA18 at the output for a bit more gain, as did
RDV.
I must have tried 20 combinations of others .... no change, other than perhaps a bit of "level".
RG suggests that the tone shaping/diodes are more relevant, so I am making  a few improvements there ....

There you go :D

Marty.

Marty, I did find the PN2369A's to be mellow out this thing a little. Not that big of a difference from a 2N5089. They seem to help the si Fuzzrite circuit out a bit. I breadboarded that the other night.

brian wenz

Hello Hello---
   I've used all kinds of different trannys for Fuzzrite, Kay Fuzz, etc.  [ different BC's, different 2N's...........]  and they all work with proper bias adjustments.   If you want the original sound, though, try some original trannys.......it would be cool to make a comparison!
Brian.