What kind of setup did The Stooges use???

Started by vanessa, June 28, 2005, 05:09:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

vanessa

I have a question. I have heard that The Stooges used Ampeg amps. What kind of fuzz did they use? Specifically "Search and Destroy".

:wink:

ErikMiller

Supposedly the Dallas-Arbiter Fuzz Face was Ron Asheton's fuzz of choice.

The Euthymia Crucible Fuzz evolved from my attempts to cop Asheton's tone on the first album.

octafish

I read silicon Fuss Face somewhere. Plus I also read ampeg amps, not sure which ones though. Play it loud.
Every band I've ever been in but one covered TV Eye
"LLLLLLooooooooooooooooorrrrrrd!"
We never woried too much about getting the tone right though.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

SeanCostello

James Williamson was the guitarist for "Raw Power"  (the album that opens with "Search and Destroy"). Les Paul through cranked Vox AC-30.

http://www.i94bar.com/ints/james1.html

Sean Costello

vanessa

I have read they used Ampeg VT somethings (SVT?, VT-40?, VT-22's?) for the amps but never found what they used for pedals.

What do you think they used on "No Fun"? It kind of sounds like a Fuzztone.

I always thought they used a Superfuzz on "Search and Destroy".

Maybe it's all the tape bleed and clipping going on in the recording?

Mark Hammer

One of the first really great rock interviews I ever read was an interview with Iggy in "jazz and pop" somewhere around 1969 or so (I might even have that issue sitting in a box somewhere).  I've followed Iggy and the Ashton brothers on and off over the years, and have never seen a word about their equipment.  Just one of those bands I guess.  Gotta say that, as a recording, "Raw Power" has to be one of the worst mastered recordings I ever bought.  Somewhere, I imagine, there is a well-engineered recording, but what made it to disc was pathetic when it came to guitar sounds.

vanessa

Quote from: Mark HammerOne of the first really great rock interviews I ever read was an interview with Iggy in "jazz and pop" somewhere around 1969 or so (I might even have that issue sitting in a box somewhere).  I've followed Iggy and the Ashton brothers on and off over the years, and have never seen a word about their equipment.  Just one of those bands I guess.  Gotta say that, as a recording, "Raw Power" has to be one of the worst mastered recordings I ever bought.  Somewhere, I imagine, there is a well-engineered recording, but what made it to disc was pathetic when it came to guitar sounds.

I wonder what they were on at the time?

:lol:

SeanCostello

Quote from: vanessa
I always thought they used a Superfuzz on "Search and Destroy".

I'm pretty sure that isn't a Superfuzz. I don't hear the intermodulation distortion you get with a Superfuzz - the chords are distorted, but the notes are pretty clear.

I can get a pretty similar sound from the Hyde side of my Jekyll & Hyde pedal, going into a Fender Bassman reissue. The keys seem to be

- having the presence knob up fairly high (the Vox AC-30 has no negative feedback)
- hitting the strings really hard
- playing full bar chords, not just power chords

Sean Costello

SeanCostello

As far as 1970-era Stooges, the photos from around then in "I Need More" show Marhall heads and cabinets for both Dave Alexander and Ron Asheton. Asheton has 2 big-cabinet Marhall heads on their sides on the floor, presumably 100 watt. As for cabinets, he has 2 straight 4x12s stacked on top of each other, 2 slant 4x12s stacked on top of each other (the top one is upside down), and a weird cabinet that might be a tall 4x12. Not sure if any of those are acting as PAs.

As far as pedals, he has a couple, but I can't see what they are in the pictures. I always thought the fuzzes on the first Stooges album could be a Superfuzz in the non-notch setting, as they have TONS of intermodulation distortion - but I don't hear that much octave. Mosrite?

Sean Costello

Ivana

It is good that it is not a super fuzz!  :lol:  Cause of I dont want to make it!  :oops:  :lol:

I am interested in the subject to. I have 2 questions to people who may see the video or a real concert
1) Was there a wah ALWAYS be ON? Not bypassed but set&forget?
2) Was there a SOLO sound makes by volume knobb on guitar or by other knobb or by switching ON a stompbox?

vanessa

I thought maybe a Mosrite. Possibly a si Fuzzrite on the early albums.

object88

Quote from: Mark HammerGotta say that, as a recording, "Raw Power" has to be one of the worst mastered recordings I ever bought.

Which version?  I've only heard the remastered version by Iggy Pop himself, and let me say, it's @#$%ing loud and brutal.  I'm seriously amazed at how he managed to wring so much consistant volume and power out of a mere 16 bits without digitally clipping all over the place.

vanessa

If you listen to "No Fun" that just might be a Fuzzrite.

DaveTV

Since we're on the subject of Stooges, here's a cool link to Mike Watt's tour diary describing some recent Stooges shows (he's filling in for Dave Alexander on bass these days). He's got some great descriptions of being on stage with Iggy and the Asheton brothers, written from the point of view of a fan living out his dream of playing music with some of his biggest heroes. If you look around his home page, you'll find diaries from other Stooges shows as well. No mention of pedals from what I've seen.

http://www.hootpage.com/hoot_stoogeseurosum2005a.html

ErikMiller

Here's an article from Vintage Guitar:

http://www.vintageguitar.com/artists/details.asp?ID=100

Looks like it was Fuzz Face back in the day and Tube Screamer as of 2000....