JIM DUNLOP EW95V Mister Crybaby Super-Volume-Wah-Pedal

Started by Hydesg, July 02, 2005, 08:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hydesg

i realise that ive made a huge mistake in buying this crappy wah pedal.
guys any recommendations of wah schematic whereby i can just remove original board from the wah i bought and fit in a new diy wah inside?

just by using the wah enclosure itself
the insides all changed

any recommendations?

leonhendrix

Hydesg

this pedal looks very very complicated inside

should i remove the whole gut
and build another wah in it?

what do you guys think of the http://generalguitargadgets.com/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=149&Itemid=177

modable wah?

Eirik

I would recomend you to remove all of it and build a new circuit. The one at GGG is the most common one. Used by Vox, Dunlop and probably all wah's being marketed as "Real MacCoy's".  It's easy to mod and has potential to sound very good. However, I would advise you to get a new inductor for your project, and maybe a new pot.
Eirik

Hydesg

hi
could you please link me to GGG, i do not know whats GGG  :oops:
is it general guitar gadet?
the wah u mentioned is it moddable wah?

i read that there are different types of inductors
red and yellow

any sites to recommend where by i can order them online?

Hydesg

one more thing
would it be possible to build a talkbox into the circuit too?

StephenGiles

With 6 14 pin chips, presumably quad opamps, I would wager a hatfull of guineas against all of the songs you can sing, that there is a great deal of good circuitry in there, so don't be too hasty. Do we have the circuit of this to ponder?
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Hydesg

dont think i can find the schematic on this
but it looks prettty complicated

probably a volume and wah pedal circuitry

sir_modulus

Here ya go...it's a 16dB attenuator, and has a ton of Flip flops for True Bypass switching (ala Boss or Ibanez).

http://www.jimdunlop.com/products/electronics/crybaby/products/ew95v/index.html

Can't seem to source a schematic for it...

I'd say you should gut it and try something new if you can, but if you don't have the money (you're gonna need to buy a new switch etc...), then we'll help you figure out where the switching ends and the wah begins.

Good circuits:
Tonepad Wah
GGG Mod-Wah
fuzz central wah's

Cheers,

Nish

StephenGiles

I'm not inclined to agree until I've seen a circuit for this, I just can't help thiking that the manufacturers know what they are doing.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Hydesg

is it possible to incorporate a talk box and a wah together ?

im thinking of reusing the pot and inductor on the wah
and rebuild another one
moddable wah i think ?

sir_modulus

Sorry Stephen, I didn't read your post before....quad opamps eh? That complicates things just a bit. You could have a very nice sounding wah (not to mention very controlable) with a bit of work if you work through that slowly.

As for the talkbox question...short answer...no. A talkbox requires a driver etc to operate, and you already have limited dimensions in the crybaby (not to mention that it's really hard to drill into...)

Cheers,

Nish

dadude

Sell the pedal you have. It's still worth some cash on eBay. You'll get a lot more for it now before you mod it than after you mod it.

Then take that cash and look for a dead wah on eBay. There's one up there all the time. Guys trying to do there own mods and screw up horribly. These dead wahs can be had in the $20's neighborhood. Then mod your heart out!

Hydesg

saw the dunlop yellow inductors
they have only 2 pins

i can place them in any way right? since inductors have no polarity

nero1985

Whats crappy about that pedal? is the wah sound that bad? hows the volume transition?

lethargytartare

Those wahs are easy to sell for 60-70 bucks, possibly more with a little patience.  So sell it, buy yourself a standard GCB95 for 30 bucks on eBay, put in a new inductor and sell the old one for 10 bucks, and now you've got a very nice wah and 20 or 30 bucks spending cash...

The Super Cry Baby wasn't bad, IMHO, but nothing to write home about.  It was neat to have a volume and wah together in the way it does, but I found I just didn't use it like that, so the volume aspect became an annoyance to me.

Cheers!

ltt