Fender Blender Whoa Moma!!!!!!!!!!

Started by vortex, July 03, 2005, 03:19:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vortex

I just received an original Fender Blender as a gift It was DOA but thankfully an easy fix. I thought I would replace the electrolytics and the tropical fish caps but it sounds excellent as is.

I am really excited by this circuit! A beautiful combination of Fuzz, octave and ring modulation. I have read that this is an "extreme" fuzz, generally too over the top for most people but I haven't found this to be the case. It really has a  range of sound from mild to wild. Nicely sensitive to pick attack and volume knob adjustments, great animation in the bloom. Wicked ring mod screams on double stop flat fives , fourths etc. Lots of output on this box!

I am still exploring the many tonal possabilities but would recommend this to anyone who likes Hendrix and Trower.

The schem is over at Geofex (thanks RG!) and matched up perfectly to my Blender. (schem & layout also at Fuzz Central and Tropicione)  One small difference with mine was that someone had replaced one of the clipping diodes with a silicon (the rest are Ge) and I added a  true bypass switch.

Anyway not to go on, and I may be honeymooning here but but I give the Blender 5 out of 5 stars. :wink:

ethrbunny

I got a blender PCB as a 'bonus' from the guy that makes boards for me. I built it on a whim and knew I was onto something good when my two daughters came into the room and said "please turn that down. you're hurting our ears."

:D
--- Dharma Desired
"Life on the steep part of the learning curve"

jmusser

I have never looked at this circuit, because I somehow got it in my head that it was a booster. Man that thing has a gob of resistors in it! I haven't heard of those transistors before, so I'll have to order some to have around. It sounds like it would be worthwhile to build, and would definitely be the most involved circuit I've built so far. Thanks for making me finally look at it.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".

niftydog

niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Zero the hero

http://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ06FenderBlender.html

Sound clips too: Vortex, since yu own an original Blender, can you compare its sound with the one I've built?
THANKS A LOT!

petemoore

Looks like a perf debuggers dream !!! lol.
 I'd try to get a PCB for that one, lots of non-linear type connections, and lots of connections in general...[kudos for anyone brave enough to attempt or succeed perfing that monster]!!!
 It sounds 'vulgar' in the soundclips I've heard...and I mean vulgar in the worst way  :lol: .
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

vortex

Quote from: Zero the herohttp://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ06FenderBlender.html

Sound clips too: Vortex, since yu own an original Blender, can you compare its sound with the one I've built?
THANKS A LOT!

Very nice website you have there Zero!

I had a listen, ...three short sound clips doesn't do the blender justice! From what I heard, it sounded in the ballpark. The first clip sounds like you have the tone turned right down. The other clips must be with the Blend fully up. (ie: full ring mod) You are getting some nice RM, I will have to play around some more and see if I can duplicate those sounds.

For those checking out the soundclips, the blender has a great "conventional" side too, it's not just a noise box. I would throw up a mp3 if someone could host it.

I am thinking I may sell the original for a tidy profit and DIY a new one.

Zero the hero

Quote from: vortex
Quote from: Zero the herohttp://topopiccione.atspace.com/PJ06FenderBlender.html

THANKS A LOT!

Very nice website you have there Zero!

I had a listen, ...three short sound clips doesn't do the blender justice! From what I heard, it sounded in the ballpark. The first clip sounds like you have the tone turned right down. The other clips must be with the Blend fully up. (ie: full ring mod) You are getting some nice RM, I will have to play around some more and see if I can duplicate those sounds.

For those checking out the soundclips, the blender has a great "conventional" side too, it's not just a noise box. I would throw up a mp3 if someone could host it.

I am thinking I may sell the original for a tidy profit and DIY a new one.

Thanks Vortex!
I know that those clips don't give Blender justice, but I have lots of bandwith restrictions on my account: I cannot host file bigger that 200k, so short clips are the only solution.

The blender goes from heavy-dark distortion to screamin' ring mods. It's very versatile, more than the fOXX Tone Machine.
I used only germanuim diodes in my circuit, I don't know if silicon will sound different: I have no time to check it!!!

Arno van der Heijden

:shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:

Yet again another reissue.....

I thought we had had everything after the Ts-808, Ampeg Scrambler, Foxx Tone Machine, etc. etc.......

BTW, anyone else who's reminded of Zach's demo movies by this?

zachary vex

they're a lot like my movies.  except they're miced up so badly...