OT but necessary: ATTENTION LONDONERS!

Started by Mark Hammer, July 07, 2005, 10:04:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

StephenGiles

.........and I expect thay have little willies!
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Transmogrifox

Quote from: nelsonI dont think we should let events like this affect the values we treasure most, freedom, liberty, tolerance and justice.

I fear this will turn british politics and british society into hateful vengeful racist entities, and comments like "ragheads" re-affirm my fear.

I think the head of  the metropolitan police said it better when he said that "this isnt the muslim way, or atleast my understanding of islam"

These bombers and terrorists are exactly in line with what the Q'ran says.  They are the most true muslims.  The rest who disagree with these acts are "muslim" by race, "islam" by religion.  Before I start sounding sympathetic to the bombers, just let me say it's horrible what they've done, but there is one good thing in them:  they understand a concept of absolute truth.  Something IS absolutely true, fortunately, the Q'ran, I believe, is not it.

Thank God that all muslims do not live what the Q'ran actually says or there would be no place in this world you could hide, and these bombings would either kill us all or convert us all because there are too many of them--if they all did as the Q'ran says they ought.

That being said, I agree that turning into a racist vengeful society is no good, but there is justice to be done.  Justice would not be going to Islamic countries and bombing their innocent civilians, or to make war on their country.  Justice would be to find the perpetrators and string them upside down by their testacles with mutiple strands of steel guitar string and play a tune on it. :wink:   (That is, those involved who didn't blow themselves up)

...rather, there are more humane ways to ensure justice is served.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

nelson

The same can be said for most religions except buddhism. Christianity taken to its absolute truth would result in a Theocracy of iranian proportions, a medievil style justice system.....think witches......

There are extreme fundamentalist christians who have committed similar acts (oklahoma). The problem is not with race or religion, it is with society. I truly believe the only way to deal with terrorism is to treat the "root" causes of it. Those being poverty, ignorance, theocracies and huge class stratification within societies that produce individuals who hold beliefs similar to those who commit these heinous acts and the circumstances to justify them.

As with all in life, a balance and moderation is needed.

For the record, I dont believe Stephen is racist.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

spudulike

Transmogrifox

That opens up a can of worms, nelson. :lol:  It's crazy how hard it is not to start a discussion on that topic, but I realize this is not the forum for discussing religion and politics.

So to conclude, much sympathy to the Londoners.  I remember how 911 cast a shadow on the US, even when I was 2000 miles from it.  Stick in there all you from the UK, and count your blessings you who didn't personally lose any loved ones in the bombings.
trans·mog·ri·fy
tr.v. trans·mog·ri·fied, trans·mog·ri·fy·ing, trans·mog·ri·fies To change into a different shape or form, especially one that is fantastic or bizarre.

nelson

Quote from: TransmogrifoxThat opens up a can of worms, nelson. :lol:  It's crazy how hard it is not to start a discussion on that topic, but I realize this is not the forum for discussing religion and politics.

So to conclude, much sympathy to the Londoners.  I remember how 911 cast a shadow on the US, even when I was 2000 miles from it.  Stick in there all you from the UK, and count your blessings you who didn't personally lose any loved ones in the bombings.

however it is on topic for this off topic post.

Back to stompboxes..... :)
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

StephenGiles

Frankly I don't care what I am called, there is still freedom of speech here and political correctness does not exist to me so I shall say what I like. If someone does not like it - tough! Believe me when these bastards are caught and taste British steel, they will wish they'd never been born, I'm quite sure of that - I pontificate again!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Transmogrifox

Quote from: StephenGilesFrankly I don't care what I am called, there is still freedom of speech here and political correctness does not exist to me so I shall say what I like. If someone does not like it - tough! Believe me when these bastards are caught and taste British steel, they will wish they'd never been born, I'm quite sure of that - I pontificate again!
Stephen

I tend to lean more toward your side.  Getting to be overly "tolerant" is similar to mixing milk and sugar with your coffee until you can no longer taste the coffee.  Pardon me, but I like mine black and strong.  It's good to see there are still some Brits that know what a gun is and what it's good for.

Pontificate at will, Stephen.
trans·mog·ri·fy

StephenGiles

Thankyou my friend - i think zero tolerance!!
Stephen

nelson

I am not for "over tolerance" however if an innocent muslim gets killed because of racism spurred on by this act then that is wrong. I would just like to avoid incidents like this and know that "political correctness" has nothing to do with it.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

gez

No offence lads, but I come here to get away from all this, it's bad enough that it's on TV 24 hours a day.

Transfer to lounge possibly?!
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Looks like a second wave of attacks in London.  Three tube stations affected.  Seems like 'smoke bombs' were let off, no reports of casualties yet.
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

gez

Just heard there's another bus 'incident'...

Tuemmueh

Read of a nailbomb. And that nobody has been hurt ...
But one very smart (. . .  :roll: ) tv-station here in germany allready saw parallels to alquaida ... yes for sure ... they're out of c4 now they use ..... SMOKE ....
Sorry, no funny topic at all.

nelson

The emergency barriers keep being moved back by the police, indicating there is still danger, also people are reporting a funny smell.

there have been preliminary tests at one tube station which came to the conclusion that no biological or chemical agents were used.

one person injured, speculation it is one of the bombers. Royal college hospital has also been evacuated.

London has basically been crippled by police evacuating areas.

Personally I am fearful that these are biological or chemical attacks. It would explain the pattern of police behaviour.

Statement by Tony Blair from COBR(bunker control centre under whitehall)  expected soon.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

sir_modulus

Being friends with a couple of actual religious muslims, I'd like to make it very clear that that is NOT true. Almost all muslims are very ashamed at the behavior of those uncivilized individuals who think that blowing things up is part of their religion. I myself have read the Qur'an (In the original tongue (urdu)...as I said, my friends are rather religious), and although there is some mention of purging at the end of the world (which is in almost every religion), and mention of gaurding the holy land (*cough* crusades *cough*) there is no mention of killing in the name of. Islam is not a violent relgion, and does not advocate killing other people. A lot of this is an interpretation by some select morons, who believe that killing is a part of their religion.

Sorry for being a bit angsty....but c'mon...I'm not supporting the bombers in any way, but I'm just saying...blame it on the cause of idiots and not a religion that is often falsified.

Cheers,

Nish

Mark Hammer

Though these would appear to be *actual* explosions, rather than simply rumours of them, nonetheless one wonders about comparisons between this and the whole anthrax thing that gripped the US for months after 09/11.  I'm certainly not dismissing today's events as unworthy of concern, but at the same time, it would seem there are always idiots who seek to ride on the wave of tension created by major events; so-called copycats.

nelson

Quote from: sir_modulus

Sorry for being a bit angsty....but c'mon...I'm not supporting the bombers in any way, but I'm just saying...blame it on the cause of idiots and not a religion that is often falsified.

Cheers,

Nish

very true, matches my sentiments exactly.

This is also a sad case of religion being used for political ends, atleast in the terms of suicide bombers brainwashing and OBL "fatwas".

By comparison you have to love European secularism,  :lol: .

Dont think the USA could be called secular atm though.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

StephenGiles

I think that most Londoners are unphased by this sort of thing, because Uncle Ken Livingstone, the Mayor said so, so it must be true :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
Stephen

nelson

Quote from: StephenGilesI think that most Londoners are unphased by this sort of thing, because Uncle Ken Livingstone, the Mayor said so, so it must be true :roll:  :roll:  :roll:  :roll:
Stephen

LOL.

but showing a unified front is the quintessentially british thing to do.....

I expect the people who trampled over other people in the tube stations were somewhat phased.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X