Which commercial OR DIY Flanger does everyone like the best?

Started by BigT, July 08, 2005, 08:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

I am thinking mainly of overall tone then functionallity then price.  Are the new toys any good or do you have to invest in a vintage pedal for a good unit?

Any easy flanger DIY builds out there?

Thanks,
BigT

Vsat

Eventide Instant Flanger is great, but not an easy build. A/DA clone capable of being quite extreme. Find myself liking the Boss BF-1 quite a bit as a general-use unit, more restrained than the A/DA but in a good way. Uses an SAD1024 and capable of fairly wide swooshes and short delays when operated on 12V supply (rather than the 9V supply suggested by the manufacturer).
Cheers, Mike

nelson

Dlx elec mistress over at ggg would be a great diy build also the PAIA PHlanger......There is an ibanez flanger over at tonepad based on the MN3007.

Dont buy the BF-2, not even worth the pittence it costs.

Or, if you wait a while I will have project documents written up to build an echoflanger, that does flange, slapback delay, chorus and filter matrix. All based around 2 SAD1024's.

I personally would go for the Dlx elec mistress purely for versatility.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

There's also the Ibanez 301 flanger clone project which sounds pretty good.

http://www.tonepad.com/project.asp?id=26

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

nelson

Quote from: nelson..There is an ibanez flanger over at tonepad based on the MN3007

.... :?
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Fp-www.Tonepad.com

Sorry, I must have been typing my msg when you replied!! it wasn't there  :shock:

Fp
www.tonepad.com : Effect PCB Layout artwork classics and originals : www.tonepad.com

DiyFreaque

I miss my old A/DA flanger desperately - I loved the thing.

Has anyone here used an A/DA STD-1 before?  Comments?

Tanks,
Scott

Bernardduur

I have an original EHX Electric Mistress (9V version, non-deluxe) and I love it. It has a very unique sound and can get from subtle flanging into extreme flanging.

I got mine modded by EHX for free; they fixed the huge volume drop I had.
Am learning something new every day here

SquareLight | MySpace account

StephenGiles

Hi Mike, you have taken the words right out of my mouth! I still intend to have a go at the Eventide - when I have a lot of time!!!
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

MartyMart

I love my old "pearl" flanger, though its a bit noisey !
A friend has a couple of Arion Flangers and I must say that they sound
fantastic !
I "dream" of an ADA though ........ :?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Bucksears

I just etched a PCB for Hollis' Ultra/Ultimate Flanger. I liked the variety of controls (liked the idea of more than just rate/depth controls) and I think it runs on the MN3008, IIRC.
I'm not building it any time soon, but it's on my list.

StephenGiles

For bog simple gutsy flanging I like the Standard Electric Mistress in a band situation because it's entire range is useable, and there is less chance of being accused of buggering around with the beast between numbers.
Stephen
"I want my meat burned, like St Joan. Bring me pickles and vicious mustards to pierce the tongue like Cardigan's Lancers.".

Mark Hammer

I'm glad you specified tone over functionality, since that tells me what you're looking for.  On the other hand, what some call "tone" may refer to specific types of sounds.  For instance, some folks think "jet plane" when they think flanger.  Others think highly resonant metallic sounds, while others think mostly in terms of emulating a slow Leslie.  Not every flanger can go all of those things equally well, so the question is "What type of need/use do you foresee?".

Though it's not my absolute favourite flanger from among what is, has been, or will be, the Electric Mistress is a pretty dependable unit that nails many of the "classic" tones people think of when they think flanger.  If tinkering with the controls is not something you plan on doing much of, it's probably a very safe bet.

Certainly, the A/DA Flanger has a well-deserved respect and admiration from people for the width of its sweep.  It won't/can't do through-zero flanging, but comes about as close as most single-BBD units ever have.

Though not quite as emotional or raw-sounding, the PAiA Phlanger has as much external voltage control as can be found in low-end flangers, having both LFO speed and initial delay-time set-able by external control voltages.

Personally, I would recommend scoring any of the cheap commercial analog flangers (i.e., any of the various units that mail-order houses sell for <$30) and making those changes that bring it closer to what you want.  First off, you have to pay for the chips and pots anyways, and if a pre-made unit saves you the debugging, it's money well spent.

StephenGiles

Hi Mark - good morning, I see you are checking in after breakfast just as I do!
Stephen

Mark Hammer

Well, after breakfast, but just befrore I dashed off to do grocery shopping, so a belated g'morning to you, Steve.  For your patience, you get a good afternoon included freefor the same price! :wink:

Joe Viau

Has anyone tried Jurgen Haible's Storm Tide flanger? It's supposed to be similar to the Eventide unit, but has some additions.  The schematic is, well, huge.

http://home.debitel.net/user/jhaible/jh_storm_tide_flanger.html

Coriolis

Iv'e got a Next Flanger. It's analog, with a 3007 I think. Has a large but useable range I think, but the cool thing about it, is it has a "manual" knob.
If you set the rate at zero, you can do manual flanging with this knob, instead of having the lfo doing sweeps. Very cool! For instance, plug in a piezo-mic, dial up a good deal of feedback, and you have a sort of tunable synth drum!
Million laughs! :D
Anyway, don't know if they're hard to find, but they were made under the Next name, and Fender(!!!), possibly more, and I think the manual mode makes them worth the money (mine was rather cheap too). Of course, it's a good mod to do to any other flanger.  8)

Link to pictures and sounds of the Fender version:

http://www.modezero.com/fender-flanger.htm  

C
Check out some free drum loops and other sounds at my site: http://www.christiancoriolis.com

cd

You know, if I had the $369, I'd have a Paradox TZF in my grubby little hands right now:

http://www.foxroxelectronics.com/TZF1.html

BigT

Thanks everyone for your input.  I think I'll try and build one.  Maybe John Hollis one.  Any comments on his Ultra Flanger?

Thanks again - what a great bunch of people in this forum!

TheBigMan

I'm rather fond of Ibanez Flangers.  I have both the FL-301 (Got it for £5, the previous owner thought it was broken.  It had been rewired with 1 battery snap and he wondered why it wasn't working.  8) ) and an FL-9.  Both are nice sounding flangers, quite subtle and chorusy but can get some pretty insane sounds.