Which commercial OR DIY Flanger does everyone like the best?

Started by BigT, July 08, 2005, 08:25:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Hammer

Just one last comment from my end.  Many flangers are what I like to call 3-knobbers.  That is, they have speed, width, and regen controls and no more.  Personally, I like at least 5 controls, with an added one for dry/wet balance, and another for manual delay tuning.  That second one is pretty important in determining the character of the flanger in question.  Often, what people like about a given flanger, tone-wise, is the feel and width of the sweep, but often what they zero in on, without even realizing it, is the actual delay range, and where the sweep starts from or ends up.  The manual/initial control is generally used to set the max clock rate (i.e., minimum delay time).  If it is chassis mounted, great.  Sometimes it comes in the form of a trimpot on the board which can be "relocated" to a chassis-mount pot, while other times it is simply a fixed resistor and no more.

Ideally, for maximum tonal flexibility, you want something with a manual delay control.

Bill Bergman

Quote from: Joe ViauHas anyone tried Jurgen Haible's Storm Tide flanger? It's supposed to be similar to the Eventide unit, but has some additions.  The schematic is, well, huge.

http://home.debitel.net/user/jhaible/jh_storm_tide_flanger.html

Joe I built one, here's some pics... the last 2 photos http://www.freewebs.com/elroy2/

Also the ibanez from Francisco's Tonepad sound real smooth, not over the top wild, but smoooth

Joe Viau

Thanks for the little tour, Bill, now THAT'S a flanger!!!!
:twisted:

DiyFreaque

Man, Bill, that is some really nice work.

Mark nailed it on the head with his comments on controls.  I'm currently enraptured by the delay modulation section of the STD-1.

On the STD-1, there are four controls.  One control is for setting the delay manually for initial delay, one is for setting the frequency of the primary LFO, another controls a secondary LFO which modulates the amplitude of the primary LFO, and one control determines the ratio of fixed delay to modulated delay.  Moreover, the LFO signal is damped increasingly as the rate of change of the LFO increases.

I initially was taken with the multi-tap apsect of the STD-1, and only gave the modulation control a cursory glance when I undertook the project, but - man alive, A/DA hit upon such a musically useful and intuitive arrangement with these controls!  I think it is as much a part of the magic as the taps themselves.  Having the second LFO modulating the amplitude of the primary LFO lends to some really lush chorusing, flanging with vibrato, and random sweeps.  Imagine fast, shallow (or deep) vibrato and deep, slow flanging together, for example - really, really nice.  The amplitude damping with frequency makes it really easy to dial in some very good settings along these lines, yet there's plenty of room for really crazy, bent effects as well.  

Right now I've just got an MN3007 hooked up to the LFO, clock, and BBD filters - that by itself would make a really nice little flanger/chorus.  Actually this will be (along with a separate compandor system and regeneration) the basis for my added 'Delay 2' line.  I haven't even gotten to the fun part yet, and I'm already excited.   :D

One more thing that is required for any flanger I'll have - a selection between 'negative' (inverted) and positive regeneration.  Without a selection between positive and negative regeneration, it's only half a flanger, IMO.  That's one thing that A/DA didn't have in the STD-1, which totally mystifies me.  I've added it to what I have on breadboard, and it sounds freaking awesome.

Cheers,
Scott

LoudGreg

I'm surprised no one mentioned the old grey MXR Flanger yet.

I'm very pleased with mine. Very smooth tone and gets all the flang sounds I'm looking for.
Guitar player not a tech............

puretube

since I hadn`t found one on the market that I could fully dig,
somebody needed to come up with
THIS ONE:

:wink:

Bill Bergman

Dave_B

Where does the Paia Hyperflange fit into all this?  In a previous life I bought all the chips needed to build the thing, but I'd be interested to know if they'd be better off used somewhere else.
Help build our Wiki!

Mark Hammer

One of the great shames of my life is that I have the board for that thing (Hyperflange) all populated (even scored a CEM3340!) and never managed to wire it up and fire it up in the past 13 years.  :oops:  :?  :roll:

With the exception of some things I've seen in Japanese project books, and the thing Ton/Puretube just posted, the Hyperflange - on paper anyways - promised to be one of the great flangers.  Never heard a soundclip from one though.

vanhansen

Holy cow, Mark.  Talk about procrastination at it's finest... :lol:  Well, seeing your pile of unfinished projects, maybe procrastination isn't the word, or is it?  :D

I miss my old MXR Flanger but it's been so long since I sold it that I'm pretty much over it.  I really like my BOSS BF-2B Bass Flanger (the brown one).  It sounds very very warm and has that vintage flanger type tone to it.  Anyone with a BF-2 can make their sound just like it with a few part swaps (caps and I think one IC difference).
Erik

mongo

Quote from: puretubesince I hadn`t found one on the market that I could fully dig,
THIS ONE:

you can't tell me that this actually DOESN'T EXIST... oh man it's too god to be true... :shock:

nelson

Quote from: puretubesince I hadn`t found one on the market that I could fully dig,
THIS ONE:

Any chance you could get me  a discount puretube  :oops:

The sacrifices I make for education.... :roll:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

travissk

The Flanger Hoax does exist and IIRC should be out sometime in September. :)

mongo

Quote from: travisskThe Flanger Hoax does exist and IIRC should be out sometime in September. :)

Looks like a completely refurbished  Mutron Bi-phase!!!!  way cool!!

I'm almost ashamed for saying this but I'll buy that Hoax just for  it's looks!!! :oops:      :wink:

aron

I don't have many Flangers and even when I did, for some reason I wasn't too picky.

I used to like my old MXR black plastic flanger - cheap thing on keyboards.
Now I have the Ibanez Tone-lok flanger, an old Boss Flanger and probably some I forgot. For the new stuff I'll just use the new Liqua-Flange.

I never ever owned a delux mistress although I always wanted one.

rocket

I like the Ibanez DFL best, an old (80ies) Digital Flanger. It's no so extrem but sounds much better than my others (Boss HF2, Ibanez sf10 and ffl) and the EH EM, i've tried.

chemosis

I don't like limited 3 knobbers my self because when it comes to flangers there capable of so much that Id hate the thought of only having 3 parameters. I always craved a paia hyperflange and now te cem3340s are available for 15.00 and abundant it seems possible as long as the sad 1024 section can be reconfigured for a newer bbd like a mn3007. I don't know a whole lot yet so im unsure. or maybe even pcbs for the dynachord tam 19 would be awesome if possible