16.5 v AC to 12 v AC for Shaka ??

Started by MartyMart, July 13, 2005, 10:02:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MartyMart

OK,
I've found a nice 16.5 volt AC adaptor rated at 600ma
Can I just increase the 10 Ohm/ 1 watt resistor to knock this down to 12v?
HELP ?
Its reading 18.5 volts without any load

Thanks,
Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

I don't really like using a dropping resistor to take down the output from a wart, because
1. voltages move around as caps in equipment charge up, and heaters warm up,and you might find for a fraction of a second, that an excess voltage appears somewhere (unlikely, but possible).
2. If that wart fails, you might not find exactly the same one again, and another wart will need a different dropping resistor, most likely.

But having said that, you probably will get away with it.

Paul Marossy

I would rather try getting a wall wart that will get you closer without having to monkey around with voltage dropping resistors. I used a 13VAC 800mA wall wart with mine and it works perfect with a 10 ohm dropping resistor before hitting the power supply.

The other thing to be aware of is that you don't exceed the maximum voltage for the tube heaters - I wouldn't go any higher than about 13.5 volts. The other reason that you don't want to go higher than 13.5 volts is because your voltage doubler will be sending too high of a voltage to the opamp. The data sheet for the TL072 chip indicates an "absolute maximum" supply voltage for Vcc+ & Vcc- as being +/-18V...

MartyMart

Perhaps I should re-think this one, or go and find that 12v AC PSU !!
My calculation says that I need around 50 Ohms 1 watt before the power
board to get 12 from 16.5 and around 165 ma for the tube/op-amp section .

Paul :
Does the power board need to connect via ground to the op amp board also ?
I only see the 12v and GND going to the tubes heaters.. ??

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Paul Marossy

Quote from: MartyMartPerhaps I should re-think this one, or go and find that 12v AC PSU !!
My calculation says that I need around 50 Ohms 1 watt before the power
board to get 12 from 16.5 and around 165 ma for the tube/op-amp section .

Paul :
Does the power board need to connect via ground to the op amp board also ?
I only see the 12v and GND going to the tubes heaters.. ??

Marty.

There are other things going to ground, like those caps in the voltage doubler circuit and a few things in the opamp/tube circuit.