Zvex fuzz factory help

Started by charleroi66, July 10, 2005, 04:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charleroi66

sorry. im very beginner but im looking to see if its possible to make a home-made version of the Zvex Fuzz Factory(as used by Matt Bellamy aka Muse) and also, if u have a schematic.   im intrigued by the idea of placing the effect into the guitar like he does...

cheers
ww-a-hh!

cd

Use the search function, this is not to be discussed here.

charleroi66

why not?
i already searched and i was only politely asking
ww-a-hh!

nelson

Zachary Vex contributes to the forum and he has kindly asked for none of his pedal schematics to be shared here. most people here respect that wish.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

markr04

Quote from: charleroi66why not?
i already searched and i was only politely asking

Nevermind the "search nazis". It's getting a bit absurd with the increasing amount of replies being nothing but a condescending "use the search function". That's discouraging to newbies, if you ask me.

Zvex's pedal schematics, etc. aren't posted here because he's kinda one of us. Copying his work could lower the value of his pedals, make him angry with us, and so on. If you want to own a Zvex pedal, that's one you actually have to buy. I don't own one myself, but it's my understanding that they're worth every penny. He's a good guy and even posts here occasionally.

If you want to stick a fuzz circuit in your guitar, there may be other ways of doing this. There are some pretty small fuzz circuits posted here and on other sites. Check www.runoffgroove.com, www.tonepad.com, www.geofex.com, and www.generalguitargadgets.com for starters.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

nelson

I would go for tims Ugly face, there is a perf layout at http://www.home-wrecker.com it is probably going to get you close to the sound you want, ofcourse there is no substitute for actually buying one.

There is a budget range fuzz factory out jus now that doesnt have the fancy decorations.....might be within your budget, forget the name of them....
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Aharon

Quote from: cdUse the search function, this is not to be discussed here.

I got curious and did a google search for fuzz factory schematic and sure enough you get schem/pcb/vero/layout plus parts list and if you understand a little french you get the instructions.Use the search guys,you know you are going to get flamed here.........what a bunch of suckers for punishment.....
My advice.......skip the solid state crap and get into tube amps.
Aharon
Aharon

jrc4558

You said it! IMHO amps are way more rewarding builds. :)

nelson

Also alot more expensive and dangerous (ZZZZZZZZZ) builds...... :wink:

gotta be "fair and balanced" to quote faux news.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

Mark Hammer

Unless it is a guitar you REALLY don't care about, or unless you have enough money to have lots of guitars, it's just not worth it.  It is usually worth building a preamp into a guitar, but anything you want to be able to adjust a lot is better done OUTSIDE the guitar.  As well, remember that once something is inside the guitar, it always comes first in your signal path and you have lost the option to place it after something else.  You might think it is handy to have on the guitar, but you end up sacrificing more than you think.

And just for the record, you DID ask politely.  Thank you.  As a beginner, you would not know how many times the subject of the Fuzz Factory or a request for a schematic has come up.  If some people "bark" at you, it is only because of the number of times this has come up.  Sometimes it is too easy for people to think "Oh no.  Not again!"  

Zachary Vex has been a good friend to this forum.  We try not to take advantage of our friends here.  That's what makes it such a nice place.  I hope you stick around long enough to find that out.

Aharon

Quote from: Constantin NecrasovYou said it! IMHO amps are way more rewarding builds. :)

:wink:
Aharon

nelson

Yet again mark comes out with the most "humanistic" :wink:  post known to man.

Mr Hammer is correct, CD is known for his "barking" (please dont flame me CD, I can empathise with your "point of view")

Mr Hammer (Phrased like that as a show of respect) also points out that leaving your options open, in terms of your signal path, is also a great idea.
I imagine a Fuzz factory will sound V different either before or after a wah for example.

(posted after one too many vodkas)

Paul Nelson
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

cd

Quote from: nelsonCD is known for his "barking" (please dont flame me CD, I can empathise with your "point of view")

Barking?  At least I didn't just post this handy link :)

Besides, I wouldn't flame anyone, except jeje and his ridiculous spamming/site posting :)

nelson

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

:wink:
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

runmikeyrun

asking people to search isn't discouraging to anyone.  Lots of posts here (especially on basic/beginner topics) can be avoided by searching first.  Since a lot of them have been posted 1, 10, or even 1000 times (like how to bias or check voltages on a fuzz face) you will get a vast reservoir of knowledge much greater than what one post would get you.  People get tired easily of "what's the simplest distortion" or "what's a good first project" types of posts so i can't say that i blame them for getting upset, but at the same time if you don't want to answer a post don't read it in the first place!
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

niftydog

chill guys, lets just remember that aron is doing a top job and this forum, with our help, is probably the greatest single resource for DIY stompboxes in the world!

Searching these forums should never be overlooked as it is one way of tapping into this fantastic resource. And you'll often get a more detailed answer, and find interesting things you weren't looking for along the way!
niftydog
Shrimp down the pants!!!
“It also sounded something like the movement of furniture, which He
hadn't even created yet, and He was not so pleased.” God (aka Tony Levin)

Doug_H

Some of the "faq-y" info in this forum seems to be spread out in a number of different places. Maybe it's time to re-organize it a little bit. (Perhaps that's what the wiki does? I don't know...) In any case, the "Zvex story" is in the "about this forum" sticky at the top. No need to keep re-explaining this situation when it's already covered there.

FWIW I think CD's response was polite and appropriate. We should be encouraging noobs to use the search, scan the stickies and read the faqs. There's a wealth of info in there.

Doug

markr04

I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but I stand by my assertion that "use the search function" posts are getting out of control. Here's why I say that:

1) This poster stated he was a newbie. He was mildly flamed (in my opinion) anyway. It turns out he had searched.

2) I can't find the post, but: To avoid a possible flame, a long-time member asked a question and added "I already searched, guys." to his post.

It seems that more often than not, it is assumed a person did not search before posting.

Let's consider this: Think of all the slang and abbreviations we've become comfortable using... do you think a newbie would know what they mean, or to search for those terms? For example, I just searched for "bsiab AND capacitor" and got 3 topics. Then I searched for "bsiab AND cap"... I got 50 or so topics. Another example: I got frustrated last week with a newbie. Although I was answering his questions, I suggested he use the search function at the same time. He said he was searching, but it didn't sppear he was using the search function at all. It turns out he's actually new to the internet itself and was using the search function in his broswer...

Let's not become an uptight bunch that only answers questions for those who are already "in the know". We were all newbies at one time and someone had to be patient with each one of us. I say: if you can't take a moment to reply with something helpful, don't reply at all. This forum is supposed to be helpful! If some questions get you worked up, take a break from the forum already.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

mojotron

Quote from: markr04I don't mean to be a stick in the mud, but I stand by my assertion that "use the search function" posts are getting out of control. Here's why I say that:

1) This poster stated he was a newbie. He was mildly flamed (in my opinion) anyway. It turns out he had searched.

2) I can't find the post, but: To avoid a possible flame, a long-time member asked a question and added "I already searched, guys." to his post.

It seems that more often than not, it is assumed a person did not search before posting.

Let's consider this: Think of all the slang and abbreviations we've become comfortable using... do you think a newbie would know what they mean, or to search for those terms? For example, I just searched for "bsiab AND capacitor" and got 3 topics. Then I searched for "bsiab AND cap"... I got 50 or so topics. Another example: I got frustrated last week with a newbie. Although I was answering his questions, I suggested he use the search function at the same time. He said he was searching, but it didn't sppear he was using the search function at all. It turns out he's actually new to the internet itself and was using the search function in his broswer...

Let's not become an uptight bunch that only answers questions for those who are already "in the know". We were all newbies at one time and someone had to be patient with each one of us. I say: if you can't take a moment to reply with something helpful, don't reply at all. This forum is supposed to be helpful! If some questions get you worked up, take a break from the forum already.

I agree. If we have not received any help form this forum - why come back, BUT if we have received help from others on this forum we should return the favor to others - if we can do so effectively. I say effectively meaning that if someone clearly needed to make a search on the subject first, at least suggest some search strings, or perhaps they did not know there was a way to search through posts - help the guy out. I hate to see posts where someone is flamed, because they were unfamilure with the forum or the interface. I think that if you can't help someone while being polite, please don't ask another question yourself and expect an answer from others. You reap what you sow.

Doug_H

Well, I guess it all comes down to whether you think anybody was flamed or not. In this particular case I don't think they were.

Doug