Zvex fuzz factory help

Started by charleroi66, July 10, 2005, 04:01:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

markr04

Quote from: Doug_HWell, I guess it all comes down to whether you think anybody was flamed or not. In this particular case I don't think they were.

Doug

Doug, I mean no offense to you, but short, rude, unhelpful, "attitude" - whatever you want to call it - I wouldn't want a reply like that. I'm not sure I'd return to this forum if I was treated that way.

My post above was not only about cd or his reply though. His was just the reply that prompted me to say something.
Pardon my poor English. I'm American.

Doug_H

Quote from: markr04

Doug, I mean no offense to you, but short, rude, unhelpful, "attitude" - whatever you want to call it - I wouldn't want a reply like that. I'm not sure I'd return to this forum if I was treated that way.

It's all a matter of interpretation. The only adjective of yours I see that applies to his reply is "short".

Doug

cd

1) This poster stated he was a newbie. He was mildly flamed (in my opinion) anyway. It turns out he had searched.

Oh, c'mon now.  Should I question the actual veracity of a search, or misuse of the search function?  Try this: use the search function, type in "fuzz factory" (no quotes) and select "all" search terms.  166 results come up, and even if you think that is way too many results, the issue is brought up in the 2nd search result (and the 4th, and many others).  

Fine, let's presume that "all" terms was not selected, that brings up 5786 results.  Which I will admit may seem daunting, but scroll down a bit, and the header " fuzz factory clone alert!" should jump out - the ideal 2nd result above has been buried somewhat, but it's still on the 1st page.

How hard were those results to find?

markr04

Quote from: cd
1) This poster stated he was a newbie. He was mildly flamed (in my opinion) anyway. It turns out he had searched.

Oh, c'mon now.  Should I question the actual veracity of a search, or misuse of the search function?

Oh, c'mon now yourself. Why do you think you're the position to question at all? Do you generally assume people are lying to you?

BTW, I searched for the answers to those two questions already and didn't find the answers. Maybe I misused the search function tho...

But really... this isn't about just you. There have been an increasing number of curt posts like yours. I think it's safe to assume that folks don't drop by for a lesson in search functions. A question can be answered, or links posted, in addition to pointing out the search function for future use.

Doug_H

Quote from: markr04There have been an increasing number of curt posts like yours.

I think I would prefer to have to deal with a "search nazi" than an "etiquette nazi".  What you consider "curt" I may consider "short and to the point" because said poster doesn't want to waste his or my time. I don't read things into or take offense at brief sentences. I guess I try to give people the benefit of the doubt and don't assume malice because of the way they talk. I do take offense at people trying to regulate speech on here though. Outside of outright flaming/trolling, which is far and few between and very obvious, there's no need to try to police how people speak.

OTOH if I go to a new forum and someone points out a search function, that's a good thing for me AFAIC. It puts the power in my hands, rather than having to wait around for someone to answer my questions. I appreciate being pointed in the direction of a helpful resource. I don't particularly care how short the post is that points me there- help is help. I don't know, maybe I'm looking at this all wrong...:?:

Doug

puretube

short&crude: > Lounge !

:lol:

markr04

Are you the same Doug that was defending cd in another forum last month? I had no part in that one, but I read it and saw a Doug making excuses for cd.

Ettiquette nazi... that's funny, but untrue. Look up the meaning of the word. It does not reference back to "courtesy" or "kindness" or "helpfulness".

Whateveryouwannacallit is fine with you... good for you. But you're spinning it to where whateveryouwannacallit is acceptable for all of us. Apparently, it was not fine with everyone, or the newbie - which is the whole point.

I don't understand why you want to defend a lazy, unwelcoming practice anyway.

markr04

I agree. None of this belongs here.

Aron,

Will you please move this thread to the lounge? Is that possible? Or delete the whole thing entirely?

Arno van der Heijden

Quote from: markr04I don't understand why you want to defend a lazy, unwelcoming practice anyway.

I'm sorry, I meant to stay out of this discussion but....

It is my opinion that it is a lazy unwelcoming practice to not do everything that is in your command to find an answer for your question (thus using the search function) before starting asking it here. :?

Somicide

funny how something like this sets of so much.  i think we need group therapy, TBH.  ^_^

PEACE and LOVE,

Jeff
Peace 'n Love

aron

Let's please remember that beginners could also be beginners to forums and therefore maybe they don't know how to use the search function that well.

There are also problems with the search function in that you cannot save search results (not yet at least).

Also, it is impossible to search for an "exact phrase".

In any case, let's welcome beginners and yes, if the answer is in a FAQ, lets tell them nicely. Hey just tell them like you would any new person you would meet.

Thanks,

Aron