Pedal Finish protection

Started by amz-fx, August 18, 2003, 11:26:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amz-fx

You know what makes a really good clear overcoat for a pedal?  Future Floor Finish...  it is clear and very tough, and it doesn't show scuff marks! :D  It is very thin so it doesn't stick to vertical surfaces well but it dries glass smooth. I just tried it on a pedal and it works really well as a bulletproof overcoat!

regards, Jack

aron

Quote from: amz-fxYou know what makes a really good clear overcoat for a pedal?  Future Floor Finish...

WOW, sounds good. I gotta check it out.

Andy

smells good too!!  I use that stuff on my plastic models.  I never thought to use them on footpedals. cool!
Andy

Tim Escobedo

Isn't Future basically some kind of acrylic finish? I seem to remember someone in the (non electronic) music DIY circles proposed that it could be used for some kind of instrument finish. I'm pretty sure model builders use it, too. Good idea. Gotta give it a try.

moosapotamus

moosapotamus.net
"I tend to like anything that I think sounds good."

gez

Is this stuff brushed on or sprayed?

gez
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

runmikeyrun

Spray on lacquer chips fairly easy, does it chip like lacquer does?  Cause if not i've found my new clear coat...
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

aron

tomtom

It's just a question about finishing, not something about Future paint.

I use to spraypaint Hammond box with a couple of color each and handwriting names and controls. But I was thinking about having a special anodized box made to specs.

In this process, I wonder if a clear coat is needed or if it's just ok to leave it anodized only (it needs to be hightly durable)

Moreover, what about Way Huge labelling? Not the hobbo font but the process because it's quite clean.

Tom :roll:

amz-fx

Quote from: runmikeyrunSpray on lacquer chips fairly easy, does it chip like lacquer does?  Cause if not i've found my new clear coat...
I just brushed it on. It develops a bunch of bubbles but they will disappear before it gets hard.  It is very tough and resilient and will not chip -  think of all the abuse that a floor gets. It can protect a paint job from chipping or damage.

regards, Jack

gez

That's excellent news as I don't have anywhere to spray!  I've been messing around with some brush on stuff I got from an art shop which was really cool because it was translucent and they had a whole range of colours, but the shop just closed down...bugger!

gez
"They always say there's nothing new under the sun.  I think that that's a big copout..."  Wayne Shorter

runmikeyrun

I appreciate the info... sounds like i've found a new clear coat.
Bassist for Foul Spirits
Head tinkerer at Torch Effects
Instagram: @torcheffects

Dislikes: old women

Alex C

Hey, where do you get this Future Floor Finish?  Is it available at Lowe's/Home Depot, or is it more specialized than that?  The acmeclub link above didn't really say much about where to get it, just what it was good for.  Also, what type of price should I expect?  Thanks, sounds like a great idea.

Andy

do you have a wal-mart where you live or a k mart?  try the grocery store too.
Andy

Alex C

Yes, all three!  I didn't know it was that readily available.  I'll stop at "the mart" on the way home tomorrow.  Thanks!

Mark Hammer

Am I the only one reminded of that old Saturday Night Live sketch where Chevy Chase and Gilda Radner duke it out over whether new "Shimmer" is a floor wax or a dessert topping? :wink:

Dean Hazelwanter

QuoteAm I the only one reminded of that old Saturday Night Live sketch where Chevy Chase and Gilda Radner duke it out over whether new "Shimmer" is a floor wax or a dessert topping?

It's both! You also reminded me of the commercial for the car exaust air freshener. Just spray it straight into the air filter.   :?

ethniccheese

Am I the only one who gets my pedals powder coated?  I take my pedals by a local powder coater and he puts them in with other runs that he already has going.  He charges me $1.33 per pedal.  It's one of the most durable finishes you can get and there are hundreds of crazy colors and textures that can be used.  You all should really check it out and see if you have a powder coating business near by.  It's cheaper even than buying a can of enamel and only takes a couple of hours.  (Less than baking each coat of enamel.)

Rick

Powder coating sounds great. I just started a part time job at an electro-plating shop. They'll do me some small runs for free. Many finishes including copper, zinc, cadmium, nickel, silver, gold also. I'm gonna' try the nickel first - very shiny and not prone to oxidizing. I'll give it a clear coat or two after to minimize scratches. Anyone tried this? Any suggestions. I'll let you know how the first run turns out.

*** Life is uncertain - eat your dessert first ***

fretbuzz2003

Has anyone else tried this stuff yet? How do you apply it? I brushed three coats of it on my pedals (I just painted three of them), but it doesn't seem very durable. I can scratch it off with my fingernail! Any advice would be greatly appreciated.