Second Tripple Fuzz

Started by petemoore, July 11, 2005, 11:00:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

petemoore

I did something wrong and couldn't figure out the first one.
 Carefully I wired this one for about an hour.
 Fired right up !!  
 I'm applying to joing the "Tripple Fuzz Fan Club'...lol !!!
 WOW...intense...'different' as a Fuzz can be.
 I have an 'extra' FF that's getting kicked out of it's wrapper, so I can box this thing up and try it out 'proper' . !!!
Convention creates following, following creates convention.

octafish

Welcome to the club! I recomend using a reverse log pot or (as I did) a log pot wired in reverse for the fuzz control, you get a better range of control. I gave one of these, fitted with a switchable notch filter, to my friend and he loves it. Everyone loves it!
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

MartyMart

Yup, thats a nice sounding circuit, another case of "10k log pot for the
Fuzz control" - not quite right though .... It all happens in the last 15%
or so ....... !!!
Linear perhaps .. ?

Marty.
"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm"
My Website www.martinlister.com

Doug_H

It's a cool fuzz with a unique sound. I was using mine last night.

Doug

soggybag

I agree, I built a Tripple Fuzz and I really like it. I used a 50K pot for gain. Instead of 10K, this was all I had.

I have been thinking about adding a switch to switch the diodes out to see what it sounds like with out the diodes.  Maybe add a three position, center off, with two sets of diiodes.

Here are some pictures of mine. I think I need to work on the box a little.

http://webdevils.com/stompbox/index.php?entry=entry050628-143827

petemoore

I have a 10k gainpot, wired so CCW increases gain, seems perfectly easily adjustable...and quite the 'effective' knob !!

soggybag

Pete, did you use 10KA or 10KB?

petemoore

10k A
 I'ts not as specifically 'non-frequency selective', but I'm thinking about making it 'discerning' instead...putting SPST on the HF and LF rolloff caps I tagged in there, the input has another parallel cap on it [brings it to about .05uf] and I put a 1n cap across lugs 1/3 of the Volume pot.
 Gnarly Monster, sounds splatty Fizzy, almost sick Octave sound...NICE.

Del Pedro

I've built a Tripple Fuzz a few days ago, too. So far I like it but I'm not as enthusiastic as you. It's a nice distortion unit but nothing really special.
Maybe I would like it better if it had a bit more highs?

I built it acording to Dragonflys veroboard layout (which BTW has some errors (trace cut missing, transistors, gain pot wiring).

Here's a picture of the finished effect:

http://delpedro.gmxhome.de/images/tripple_fuzz/tripplefuzz.jpg

octafish

I didn't find much difference when I removed the diodes, I think they are there as a sort of limiter to the amount of fuzz that comes through. Your ears may hear differently though.
Shoot straight you bastards. Don't make a mess of it. -Last words of Breaker Morant

petemoore

I soldered in the diodes right after checking them with the DMM.
 I found the circuit to have alot of 'high end' activity, quite fizzy and with the gain turned up most of the way to full on, sounded like complex clipping in the HF range.

jmusser

Welcome to the club! I guess this means you'll be getting the smoking jacket, and the keys the the club's wash room now. I liked everything about it, and I would still be hard pressed to find another circuit that is as univeral as that one, for a variety of music types. I've had a good run on circuit's lately, with the Tripple Fuzz, Whisker Biscuit, and 3 Legged Dog. I am currently fighting tooth and nail with the Ring Frobnicator to bring it to life. I way underestimated the amount of room it was going to need on the perf board, so I have it crammed to capacity. I have a miswire in there somewhere because of that, and it's been difficult to narrow down. When I do finally, it will be a nightmare to get to and fix. I've been wanting a good tremolo, so it'll be worth the fight if it turns out well.
Homer: "Mr. Burns, you're the richest man I know"            Mr. Burns: Yes Homer It's true... but I'd give it all up today, for a little more".