What do you use to clean off excess flux from your projects?

Started by vanessa, July 19, 2005, 02:16:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

D Wagner

Quote from: Paul Marossy
Quote from: D WagnerUsusally, I leave the flux on my boards without any problems.

But, I had been debugging a Pearl OC-07 octave clone for a few days, when I decided to remove the flux from the board.  I used a tooth brush and some acetone to do the job, then I rinsed it in hot water.  After it dried for a few hours, it fired right up!

Derek

Weird when it does that, isn't it?  :?

The traces and pads are so close on this thing, it really didn't surprise me.  Some traces are only 0.02" wide, and the spacing between some of them isn't much further.  (I drew the board in AutoCAD, and used an ACAD LaserJet printer)

moeburn

Quote from: D WagnerThe traces and pads are so close on this thing, it really didn't surprise me.  Some traces are only 0.02" wide, and the spacing between some of them isn't much further.  (I drew the board in AutoCAD, and used an ACAD LaserJet printer)

0.02"!?  Thats the lowest you can go?  Try doing an iron-on consisting of only 0.008" traces and we'll talk  :P

Paul Marossy

QuoteI don't think he meant it exploded...

C'mon now, I'm not that dumb! I meant it's weird when solder flux can cause problems like that.  :wink:

Paul Perry (Frostwave)

Solder flux can cause problems with very high impedance circuitry (leakage).
A typical example, is across a capacitor that is supposed to hold a sampled voltage, or is part of a timing circuit. Not usually a problem with guitar fx.
Ironically, the solder that is designed with water washable flux, I believe HAS to be washed. With ordinary resin core, you can usually get away without washing. (will look pretty ropey after a year or so, if the unsoldered traces aren't tinned.)