Author Topic: Thanks Aron!  (Read 6989 times)

8 track

Thanks Aron!
« on: July 20, 2005, 11:08:47 AM »
I would like to thank you and some of the other forum members for helping me continue this great hobby. I have done around 30 builds now and feel qualified to offer other newbies some advise.

The search button is your best friend. The search button never get's tired of you. The search button will answer your question right now.
Every question I've ever had was either there, or close enough to figure it out myself.

Except for this one: Has anyone else (besides me) tried a .047 input cap and a npn germanium tranny (hfe 67) in Gus's npn boost? I put one in just to test it before it went into a Rangemaster and was so amazed, it ended up on my gigging pedal board.

Best Regards, Jeff

Gus

Thanks Aron!
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2005, 06:10:52 PM »
Biased right up even with the Ge.

It is good to see posts like yours

8 track

Thanks Aron!
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2005, 10:38:08 PM »
Yes it did, Thanks Gus! ! 4.57 volts, Right on the money. You da Man!
I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed with the Rangemaster after hearing the npn boost with the germanium tranny.  

I ended up building another npn boost with an 0.047 input cap and using the hammond type box that I had purchased for the Rangemaster. It's also dead quiet even using a power supply! (I did use almost every trick in the book to get all the RF and ripple out though) It stayed on for a solid 4 hour gig and never changed sounds, picked up beer lights, or lost it's bias. Impresive indeed.

FWIW, It was a Strat pushing an modded Carvin Nomad w/el84's. I have not tried it with a Humbucker or with any of my other tube amps yet.

I'm not the only one to have ever tried this, am I??

Best Regards, Jeff

Jayco

Re: Thanks Aron!
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2006, 03:28:08 PM »
8-track..

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but this post has me intrigued.

When you say you popped the Ge into the NPN boost, is it literally as simple as pulling the 2N2222 and putting the HFE67 in its place?  Nothing else needed?

I'm about to box this thing up and would like to give it a shot (though I don't have any Ge's right now)

Thanks,
Jim

MBackus

« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2010, 05:31:17 PM »
*bump*
I would also like to know the answer to this question. 
Michael

aron

« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2010, 09:45:29 PM »
Apparently so. I've never tried it.

MBackus

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 09:19:44 PM »
Having trouble finding a HFE67 germanium transistor.   So I am a little bit lost.  But I'm getting there! haha.

aron

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 09:39:42 PM »
I think he means an NPN Germanium transistor with an hFE (gain) of 67.

MBackus

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 10:47:23 PM »
oh. :icon_biggrin: