Ring Stinger Photos

Started by soundcollage, July 23, 2005, 06:45:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ovnifx

The one thing with the boxes that soggybag got for us is that they are kind of flimsy in the footswitch area.  I spent about three hours last night trying to find alternative housings that would suit this project, and I have some leads but nothing worth a linked reference yet.  Almost every enclosure I could find that was "close" was either 6.5" wide or 10" wide (the circuitboard is 7" wide).  There are a few that will fit the circuitboards, but leave no room for the pots and switches.  Others have room for all, but the box is 3" or 4" tall and awkward looking.

Some of the best boxes in this size range are tabletop units not suited to stomping, where all controls would go on the front-side-face.  I guess with pushbuttons instead of stomp switches.

So one of the benefits of the brass plate idea he mentioned is that it would reinforce the stompin' panel.  Otherwise we have talked about putting some flying buttresses in there.

soundcollage

The originals are equally flimsy. The paint job on mine is bubbling because it is rusting under the paint, which leads me to believe they were not primed. The plastic nuts on the original's jacks pop off if you bump the cord with your foot (even with right angle cables).
james

Jose Aparicio

Quote from: soggybag on January 20, 2006, 08:25:06 PM
Here's a photo.

Are you using a VTL5C3 in stead of a LED + LDR combo?

Any chances to hear mp3 samples?  :icon_wink:

soggybag

Yeah, that's a VTL5C3. It was easier to use this rather than an LED/LDR combo. Though I may change this out for a LDR/LED. I figured using the Vactrol was a more reliable choice than using LDR which can vary a lot.

Speaking of the LDR, what the heck does this do here? Looking at the schematic it looks like it sets the gain of the drive stage. I'm  don't understand why this would be needed?

markusw

Quote from: soggybag on January 29, 2006, 12:02:50 PM
Speaking of the LDR, what the heck does this do here? Looking at the schematic it looks like it sets the gain of the drive stage. I'm don't understand why this would be needed?

In octave mode the LED/LDR combo is driven by the LFO with a more pronounced effect at higher gain settings.  This way the LFO varies gain/distortion of the signal. At lower gain settings (provided the resistance of the LDR goes low enough) it should vary gain only.

Markus

Jose Aparicio

Then i guess using a VTL5C3 would give a very precise response. soggybag, have you experienced any abnormal behaviuor with a VTL5C3?

soggybag

I'm not much of an expert at this stuff, but from my experience the VTL5C3 is very reliable. I used them to make a Neutron and two Ugly faces and they seem to work we'll.

Gripp

Just wanted to let you guys know that mine is finally in a box and fully functional.
No debugging needed. The only slightly confusing thing is that both the vco and the lfo doesn't seem to fire up right away after power up sometimes under some conditions... that I really don't know what they are yet. Absolutely no biggie.
And yes, there is some bleedthrough but that was expected. It seems to be frequency dependant though, might be some food for thought for a later time. No fault though. I'm really happy with this one and it is a nice challenge to try to make an entire ringmodulated solo make sense :icon_wink:

See this thread for an audio sample with a lot of String Ringer:
http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=43247.0

Samugo

Hi,i'm going to build this beautifull effect,but i read some articles about "light sensitive jack adaptor for Theremin-like fx or random ambience modulation",anybody can write something about it? ??? how can i make it? ???

If you have some photos or schematics... :icon_biggrin:

Thanks

njkmonty

i just received from ebay a IRFU9024   and i noticed they where way small i was expecting a TO-220  package size

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2PCS-MOSFET-IR-TO251-FU9024N-FU9024-IRFU9024N-IRFU9024-/200994856749?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ecc3a1f2d&_uhb=1

did i buy the right ones, they look half the size of a to-220

is this what is needed?