DIY decal softener!

Started by sir_modulus, July 25, 2005, 04:34:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sir_modulus

Ever want to try decal softener on your wonderful waterslide decals, but just can't afford any (it can be damned expensive if you can only get the high end suff), or you don't wanna wait for steve to ground ship it across the border...there is a solution ( :D  no pun intended) !!!

I bought some of that "Testors" Decal softener (most model building people should know what I'm talkin' about), and when I opened the bottle....WHOA!!!! Just had to back away cuz it smelled just like vinegar! Well...that led me to thinking...why not try vinegar in water, because that's probably what it is! So..I take out a cup of nice warm water, and just add some vinegar to it, and it actually works! I find that old vinegar, and the noname stuff from "superstore" in canada works best!

Cheers,

Nish

nelson

clear vinegar or the brown stuff? Or is all ethanoic acid good lol

if only the name fish and chips wasnt taken by danelectro.

Excellent tip, I have to try it out.
My project site
Winner of Mar 2009 FX-X

sir_modulus

lol! It's the clear white vinegar stuff.

Cheers,

Nish

jimbob

"I think somebody should come up with a way to breed a very large shrimp. That way, you could ride him, then after you camped at night, you could eat him. How about it, science?"

Paul Marossy

Yet another use for good ol' vinegar!  :wink:

sir_modulus

Yup 8)

And at $4 for 2 litres compared to $5 for a couple of mls...it'd venture to say it's a bit cheaper than the real deal!  :D

brett

Hi.
Yeah the guy at the model shop near where I live told me not to waste my money on the "proper" stuff.  That was *after* I bought some off his young assistant-babe the day before.  Apparently, the model builders around here have all been using clear vinegar for years.

cheers
PS here's the face plate of latest amp project.  Decals are so great!
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~jethro.dog/mypic162.jpg
Brett Robinson
Let a hundred flowers bloom, let a hundred schools of thought contend. (Mao Zedong)

STOMPmole

So how do you use the decal softener?  Do you substitute it for straight water when disolving the backing paper or do you put it over the decal after you slide it off the paper and have it positioned to the box to help 'melt' the edges?

AL

Ooooh !!! 18 watt. You are going to post pics of that when it's done right? Is that a kit? Nice decals too. Vinegar huh? Great idea !!

AL

therecordingart

I'm bumping an old thread....

-Can you use vinegar on the inkjet waterslide decals or just laser?

-Do you just blot the edges with a q-tip or cover the the entire decal?

-How long do you let it sit?

GibsonGM

I just added some to my 'soaking water' while removing the decal from its backing.  It worked well for me with inkjet, so laser must be fine too!   
I mix about 2-3 caps of the white vinegar into a margarine dish sized container of warm water, then soak the decal til it comes off (1 to 2 mins on average).  That softens them enough to be easy to handle, and no worry about adding straight vinegar.
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

Electron Tornado

With the ink jet decals, what kind of clear coat have you been using on it before putting it in the water/ vinegar solution?
  • SUPPORTER
"Corn meal, gun powder, ham hocks, and guitar strings"

Who is John Galt?

kungpow79

I've only used Duplicolor Automotive Clear coat, which is an acrylic lacquer.  I use this on inkjet decals only.  You don't have to do this on laser jet decals.  But, I think a clear enamel could work too.  I think you just need something to "seal" the inkjet ink on the decal paper.

GibsonGM

Yeah, just 2 light coats on the ink is how i do it. Let dry thoroughly, then soak away....
  • SUPPORTER
MXR Dist +, TS9/808, Easyvibe, Big Muff Pi, Blues Breaker, Guv'nor.  MOSFace, MOS Boost,  BJT boosts - LPB-2, buffers, Phuncgnosis, FF, Orange Sunshine & others, Bazz Fuss, Tonemender, Little Gem, Orange Squeezer, Ruby Tuby, filters, octaves, trems...

therecordingart

After doing that the vinegar softens the edges enough to make the decals look more painted on than stuck on?

kungpow79

Exactly.  Right now I'm using stuff in a little bottle called Micro Sol.  It seems to work.  When you clear coat over that, that also helps to blend away the edges. 

I'd also recommend using a sharp Exacto knife to cut your decals if you do.  If you use scissors, you might cut it at a bevel, which will make the border more distinct.  Use a straightedge and cut with a sharp knife 90 degs to the surface.

differo

I bought some decal softener, haven't tried it yet. No worries about laser decals but I was thinking: Can you apply softener over the clear-coated ink-jet decal? Anyone tried this? Also is it ok to use laser decal (waterslide and/or sticker) with ink-jet printer? Anyone tried THIS? Maybe the ink from ink-jet won't stick so well on laser decal.. I'm going to buy ink-jet (fore other purposes too) and it would be nice to have color decals if I could use it on my stocked laser decal paper..
My youtube channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/BeToneful

Rebote2.5,MXR dist+,DrBoogie,BSIAB2,Ross Compressor&Phaser,MXR EnvFilt &Noise Gate,TS808,Condor CabSim,SansampGT2,Fraverb,Small Clone,TremLune,ValveCaster

therecordingart

Quote from: differo on March 31, 2010, 07:48:27 AM
I bought some decal softener, haven't tried it yet. No worries about laser decals but I was thinking: Can you apply softener over the clear-coated ink-jet decal? Anyone tried this? Also is it ok to use laser decal (waterslide and/or sticker) with ink-jet printer? Anyone tried THIS? Maybe the ink from ink-jet won't stick so well on laser decal.. I'm going to buy ink-jet (fore other purposes too) and it would be nice to have color decals if I could use it on my stocked laser decal paper..

I think it'd have to penetrate the clear coat to work that way. I'm not sure if this would work, and I'd personally be afraid to do it, but maybe take a little steel wool and rub the edges of the decal to expose them through the clear coat. Then apply the stuff, let it do it's thing, and then spray a coat or two of clear.